hangs every other startup

Question

• This is really weird.  I have a brand new system (i5 2500K, 8GB RAM, Gigabyte HD 6870) and I installed Windows 8 Developer Preview on it.  Whenever I start it up cold, the first time it always get to the opening screen where it say Windows Developer Preview with the little dots rotating in a circle but the circle dots never appear.  It just hangs.  If I turn it off, wait a second or two and turn it back on, it starts up fine.  I can shut it down; start again and it hangs the same way.  Restart and it works fine.  If I don't get the circle dots right away, I know it is hung.  What the hey?

Also, I set up two logons.  One is an administrator and one is not.  If I am logged onto the non-admin account then do a switch-user to the admin account, it always starts up with a temp profile.  That's not right is it?

Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:09 AM

Answers

All replies

• That also happens to me. The rotating circles sometimes doesn't appear. So I restart (Press the restart button), then it continues. I think a bug?
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:34 AM
  • Has this been happening from the very first time you installed Windows Developer Preview or is this a new error that just started to occur?
    Have you added any new software programs, antivirus or updates?
    Are all of your drivers updated to the latest version of Windows 7? This would be including the motherboard driver as well.

Marilyn
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:37 PM
  • It has done this from the very first time that I installed Windows 8 Developer Preview.  I just updated all drivers but it still behaves the same way.
    Steve B
    Friday, November 11, 2011 4:25 AM
  • Hello huhqwerty,

I suggest you do a refresh of the PC.

When you refresh your PC, your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:

Enter the Start screen

Click Control Panel

Click General on the left column

Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.

Once the refresh has finished, test to see if you see the desktop.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 6:09 PM
  • All other apps will be removed.

I can't say that I like the sound of that.  That's a lot of work to restore all of my apps.  Maybe if I get a bunch of time on my hands but I doubt it.
    Steve B
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 6:36 PM
  • I ran through the following last night/today:

1. turned on PC - no circle balls; Windows stuck
    2. turned off PC; turned on PC - circle balls; Windows boots fine
    3. after several hours of problem-free use, shut down normally
    4. turn on PC - no circle balls; Windows stuck
    5. turn off PC; turn on PC - circle balls; Windows boots fine
    6. shut down normally
    7. turn on PC - no circle balls; Windows stuck
    8. turn off PC; leave sit for ~20 hours with no power
    9. turn on PC - circle balls; Windows boots fine.

Here are a few events that may be of interest (especially the last one): The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. Session "ProtogonWmiLog" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035 Microsoft Antimalware Real-Time Protection feature has encountered an error and failed. Feature: Behavior Monitoring Error Code: 0x80004005 Error description: Unspecified error Reason: The filter driver requires an up-to-date engine in order to function. You must install the latest definition updates in order to enable real-time protection. The previous system shutdown at 9:59:09 PM on ‎11/‎14/‎2011 was unexpected. The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: 3ware adp94xx adpahci adpu320 amdsata amdsbs amdxata arc arcsas b06bdrv bfad dam ebdrv EhStorTcgDrv elxfcoe elxstor HpSAMD iaStorV iirsp intelide isapnp LSI_FC LSI_SAS LSI_SAS2 LSI_SCSI LSI_SSS megasas MegaSR mvumis nfrd960 nvraid nvstor ql2300 ql40xx sbp2port SiSRaid2 SiSRaid4 stexstor storahci storflt storvsc viaide vmbus vsmraid VSTXRAID

Steve B

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:16 AM
  • Hey Steve B,

Try checking to see if a more recent version of your motherboard's BIOS is available from your computer/motherboard provider's website. Instructions for how to update your motherboard's BIOS should be available in your user manual or on your computer/motherboard provider's website.

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS/UEFI settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Friday, November 18, 2011 9:09 PM
  • Is this with a single partition?
    Friday, November 18, 2011 10:04 PM
  • My situation is with a single partition in a single-boot configuration.

I'll look into a BIOS update later tonight.

Steve B
    Friday, November 18, 2011 10:25 PM
  • I just upgraded to version F6 of the BIOS.  I have a Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 motherboard.  It still freezes the first time through the boot up process.  I also got this Error in the Event Viewer:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:

3ware

adp94xx

adpahci

adpu320

amdsata

amdsbs

amdxata

arc

arcsas

b06bdrv

bfad

dam

ebdrv

EhStorTcgDrv

elxfcoe

elxstor

HpSAMD

iaStorV

iirsp

intelide

isapnp

LSI_FC

LSI_SAS

LSI_SAS2

LSI_SCSI

LSI_SSS

megasas

MegaSR

mvumis

nfrd960

nvraid

nvstor

ql2300

ql40xx

sbp2port

SiSRaid2

SiSRaid4

stexstor

storahci

storflt

storvsc

viaide

vmbus

vsmraid

VSTXRAID

Wd

Steve B
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 4:56 AM
  • still freezes the first time through the boot up process.  I also got this Error in the Event Viewer:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:

I think it might be more interesting to know what does load and compare it with what loads when you get a normal boot.   To do that you could enable  Boot  logging  and, depending how far into the boot you are getting, use ProcMon's Boot Logging option.    Run... msconfig.exe  Boot  tab to enable the Boot log.   I think normally the Boot log (e.g. in ntbtlog.txt) concatenates, so you would be able to compare the two cases fairly easily from that.   I can't remember at what point ProcMon's  Boot Logging takes over but it is much more comprehensive when it is available.   (I suppose I should be trying some of my own medicine for my case too.   <w>)

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Saturday, November 19, 2011 9:06 PM
  • I punted and installed Windows 7.  Everything works fine there so there is obviously a problem with a driver somewhere that Windows 8 doesn't like.
    Steve B
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:23 AM