none
scratch build screensaver from small basic RRS feed

• Question

• Sirs:

I have written an animated program in Small Basic.  It is intended to be a screensaver.  On one attempt, my program functioned as a screensaver, but was in  .pf files within the Windows/System32 folder and disappeared during a reboot.  My wannabe screensaver terminates with mouse movement or keydown.  How do I permanently install a small basic program as a windows XP screensaver.

Other screensaver info mentions interop.dll s and are written in other languages or mention starter kits.  No one mentions how to install. I have searched this site, MSDN, and Google.

I am a retired mainframe application programmer and eventually would like to be able to market my software, so I am looking for a reasonably priced and relatively simple developemnt tool to acquire.

Thanks,

Friday, September 17, 2010 8:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can make screen saver with Data extension using CMD object but you can use Data.dll only with freeware or open source projects.

Sorry My Bad English
    Friday, September 17, 2010 8:50 PM
  • It has been decades since I used the command prompt, so I had to relearn what I needed.  When copying my .scr extension module to windows\sys32, I got an error from MS wondering if they want me to send it in.

What seems to work (the screen saver appears after a reboot) is:  Rename the .exe module to .scr, ignoring warning.  Right click, then select Configure, right click again and select Install.

Can someone else check this out?

Monday, September 27, 2010 10:04 PM
  • Couldn't you put the .exe in your startup folder and make the program run 24/7 and detect mouse movement?
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 4:13 AM
  • When i place my program in the startup folder, the dll files ask for what program to open with. When i don't iclude the dll files, the program don't work. Whats happening?
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 7:11 AM
  • AirWaves, your program  needs DLL files, if you remove them it wont work. When DLL files are in startup folder windows is trying to launch them.

If you want install exe as screen saver copy it as .scr file and all DLL files  under C:\Windows\System32\ . Then goto System32, right click and select install or

call C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe with CMD to install .scr file.

Sorry My Bad English
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 8:05 AM
  • Here is mall basic code to install

TextWindow.WriteLine(CMD.RunCMDcommand("/c C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe desk.cpl,InstallScreenSaver [Your .src file]"))

TextWindow.WriteLine(CMD.RunCMDcommand("/c C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe desk.cpl,InstallScreenSaver C:\Windows\System32\Test.scr"))

Sorry My Bad English
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 8:12 AM
  • AirWaves, your program  needs DLL files, if you remove them it wont work. When DLL files are in startup folder windows is trying to launch them.

Workaround: add a shortcut to the executable in the startup folder.
    Your Signature
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 1:10 PM
  • Thanks guys. my screensaver works right now.

Sunday, October 24, 2010 7:23 AM