How to reduce size of deploy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

i just made a LS desktop app and i'm a little bit worried with the size of the app.

It has 2 database connections with 4 tables in total and only 1 screen. The total size of the app is 32mb.

WOW!

is there a way to reduce it?

I just checked the bin folder and there's a lot of folders with languages packages. If I delete them (of course not what I'm using PT-Br).

By the way what is the package for English? I couldn't find it.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 7:48 PM

Answers

• What version of LightSwitch are you using?  As of Visual Studio 2012 Update 2, we only deploy the languages that you have created localized resources for (there is unfortunately a bug in Update 3 where localized languages stop working, so you'd want to wait until we get a fix released for that).  The RC of Visual Studio 2013 is also available, which has the trimmed down deployed files and doesn't have the bug that is in VS 2012 Update 3.

The English strings are embedded in the assemblies in the bin folder, so they don't have satellite resource assemblies.

I understand that these other resource assemblies are just extra baggage, but what is it specifically that concerns you about the size of the deployed app?  Are you deploying this as a 2-Tier application?

David Kidder | Senior SDET | Microsoft | LightSwitch

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 3:09 AM

All replies

• What version of LightSwitch are you using?  As of Visual Studio 2012 Update 2, we only deploy the languages that you have created localized resources for (there is unfortunately a bug in Update 3 where localized languages stop working, so you'd want to wait until we get a fix released for that).  The RC of Visual Studio 2013 is also available, which has the trimmed down deployed files and doesn't have the bug that is in VS 2012 Update 3.

The English strings are embedded in the assemblies in the bin folder, so they don't have satellite resource assemblies.

I understand that these other resource assemblies are just extra baggage, but what is it specifically that concerns you about the size of the deployed app?  Are you deploying this as a 2-Tier application?

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 3:09 AM
  • Hi David,

thanks for the answer.

I'm using VS 2012 Update 3.

I'm deploying it as a 2-tier app, but I think 32mb a lot considering that I only have 2 conn, 4 tables and 2 screens (1 list and another master and detail screen)

But thanks anyway...i'm gonna give a try to VS2013 Beta, just to check it out.

I'm a little bit disappointed with LS..."simple" to make but i'm having lot of headache to deploy...

Thursday, October 3, 2013 2:23 AM
  • Yes, two-tier is really the only deployment type where this extra baggage causes deployment slow-downs (since every user needs to pull down all these extra files).  Unfortunately deployment causes many users headaches.  Keep the questions and concerns coming on the forum and we can try to improve the process.

Thursday, October 3, 2013 2:37 AM