Windows update messed up the boot and is unable to repair system. Back to windows 7!

General discussion

• Windows update said that it installed a new update (AMD SATA Driver) and it needed to restart the computer. So i did and upon booting up it says "Searching for problems...." then "Attempting repairs..." and it got stuck in a loop. so i figured i would let it sit there for a few hours and see if it would get out of the loop...4 hours later and its still stuck on the "Attempting Repairs..." screen. Gave up after a while and did a factory reset.

Right now im creating a partition on my hard drive for 100 gb so i can install windows 8 to that. Or figure out how to install it to a External hard drive. Until this "Update" is either removed or fixed im not going to update since it not only screwed up the boot but the update "Engineering Sample" for my graphics cards screwed up the display in win 8.

You were working so well...why release beta updates for graphics cards then install them without asking me?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:05 PM

All replies

• Hello, I am sorry for the trouble Windows Update have caused you. Would you please let us know the full name of the driver? SATA driver indicates that it's a driver for your harddisk controller instead of graphic card. You can go to the Desktop Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update, and go to the update details page (e.g. 3 important updates available" link). Right click on the AMD update, and select "Copy details". You can then paste the details here. Thank you.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Windows Update has done similar things as the original author described on my system as well.  Note the following WindowsUpdate.log entries:
    Agent  *   Title = LG - Display - LG L192WS
    Agent  *   UpdateId = {AF6E4D25-BEBD-4F8A-8C1B-13F1354A98F3}.102
    Agent  *   Title = NVIDIA Corporation driver update for NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
    Agent  *   UpdateId = {D2C6F1A9-8042-43CB-BEFC-998CE977D4B5}.100
    Both of these drivers when installed by WU, causes my machine to attempt repairs, and afterwards, end up not being installed.  In fact, ALL updates end up being NOT installed.  I can archive and send this file upon request.
    For the time being, I am ignoring all hardware updates for Windows 8 until this matter is dealt with.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:34 PM