Thin client and smart client RRS feed

• Question

• Continuing a thread I have posted somewhere around here (but could not find it), why do people usually say a smart client is able to work offline, and a thin client only works if connected to Internet. I consider this not true, since a thin client may be connected to a local Intranet. Then, it does not need to be in Internet, the connection will only need to be accessing the local BD inside the network, right?

Saturday, December 9, 2006 2:21 PM

All replies

• The point is that a thin client needs a connection to work (it doesn't matter if it is an intranet or internet)

Smart clients can be made to work offline (i.e. you need to work for that to happen) - so that when they are disconnected from a server the user still has the ability to continue work on a local copy of the data as well as queue requests for the backend for later

Arnon

Sunday, December 10, 2006 9:02 PM
  • Hi,

The easiest way to think of a smart client is that it must always be available, even in a plane in the middle of the Pacific.

For more information on thin versus smart clients consult the excellent Smart Client Architecture and Design Guide:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8EC600BD-A2E5-44AC-9A8F-68D06361853E&displaylang=en

Charles

Monday, December 11, 2006 5:04 AM