Connect Desktop and Laptop to TFS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am new to TFS.

I have my project on my desktop using TFS (??????visualstudio.com) and am able to check files in/out, edit etc.

Now I want to connect my laptop so I can work on the same project.

I copied my whole project directory over to my laptop, on my laptop I can connect to the same TFS, but can't check any files in/out.

Something simple I'm sure.

Thanks

MW

Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:23 PM

Answers

• You need to check-in the code from your desktop to VisualStudio.com account. Then, connect to the same VisualStudio account from laptop and do get latest of the project in TFS.

Jahangeer

Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:39 PM
  • Hi MW,

You're using Visual Studio Online(formerly Team Foundation Service), the code will save in cloud side after you check in code from desktop. When connect to VSO by using Team Explorer on your laotop, you can get the team project to local as Jahangeer mentioned. See the screenshot:

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 18, 2014 6:40 AM

All replies

• You need to check-in the code from your desktop to VisualStudio.com account. Then, connect to the same VisualStudio account from laptop and do get latest of the project in TFS.

Jahangeer

Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:39 PM
  • Do I need all the source files on my laptop first?

Everything is checked in on my desktop.

I am connected to the correct TFS on my laptop, but if I right click any item, there is no option to do a checkout.

I do notice if I click File -> Source Control -> Add Project from Source Control, my projects are there, if I pick the correct one and give it a local path (same path as my desktop) The OK button never is clickable.

MW 

• Edited by MW2011 Thursday, April 17, 2014 11:20 PM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 11:14 PM
  • Hi MW,

You're using Visual Studio Online(formerly Team Foundation Service), the code will save in cloud side after you check in code from desktop. When connect to VSO by using Team Explorer on your laotop, you can get the team project to local as Jahangeer mentioned. See the screenshot:

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 18, 2014 6:40 AM