Target Framework option is disabled in Project's properties.

Question

• Hi Experts,

I use Windows 8 Developer preview. I just created the Simple Metro Style application in VS 2011 using C# . But i could see that TargetFramework option is disabled in the project's properties. I have a doubt that will it create the problem in C# application to run ?. More over Framework change is disabled in the VS 2011 ? or I need to install the correct the Visual Studio setup ?. Could you please any one help me ?.

Cheers,

David C

Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:58 AM

Answers

• I just tried to create the Custom controls in WinRT using XAML/C#. First i created the Class library and attached with Metro Style application. I merged the Generic.xaml from the Class library into the App.xaml of Metro application.  When i did this i got an error something like Tailored application.... Could you please tell me what may be problem ?. Am i doing the correct way to develope the custom controls.
    • Marked as answer by David alice DD Thursday, October 06, 2011 4:24 AM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:47 AM
  • Hi David,

The developer preview for Visual Studio Express only supports developing Metro style applications.  When you create a Metro style application project using C# or VB, there isn't the possibility to re-target that project for another .NET profile, which is why we disable the option in the project properties.

For your custom control, make sure that your generic.xaml is in the class library project under a folder called "themes" and you have set the DefaultStyleKey in the class library.  I will be posting a sample on a simple custom control this week in the samples library to help people understand the model.

Tim Heuer | Program Manager, XAML | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:29 PM

All replies

• Metro apps are supported on .NET 4.5/WinRT only, so there is no reason to allow changing it. Moreover, VS 11 Express for DP supports only creating of Metro apps. You need to use full VS 11 for DP (non-Express) to create other types of apps.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:07 AM
  • I just tried to create the Custom controls in WinRT using XAML/C#. First i created the Class library and attached with Metro Style application. I merged the Generic.xaml from the Class library into the App.xaml of Metro application.  When i did this i got an error something like Tailored application.... Could you please tell me what may be problem ?. Am i doing the correct way to develope the custom controls.
    • Marked as answer by David alice DD Thursday, October 06, 2011 4:24 AM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:47 AM
  • Hi David,

The developer preview for Visual Studio Express only supports developing Metro style applications.  When you create a Metro style application project using C# or VB, there isn't the possibility to re-target that project for another .NET profile, which is why we disable the option in the project properties.

For your custom control, make sure that your generic.xaml is in the class library project under a folder called "themes" and you have set the DefaultStyleKey in the class library.  I will be posting a sample on a simple custom control this week in the samples library to help people understand the model.

Tim Heuer | Program Manager, XAML | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:29 PM