none
VS2015 - How to Test Universal App on Lumia 950?

Question

• I am wondering how to test a universal app on my Luma 950. Before Windows 10, there was a way to register a Windows 8 phone for development. In Windows 10, there's an "UPDATE & SECURITY/FOR DEVELOPERS setting. I've tried both the "Sideload Apps" and the "Developer Mode" options, but the UA in VS2015 still won't recognize my Lumia for testing when I choose "Device".

How do I get my VS2015 to recognize the Lumia 950 for app testing?

Sunday, December 20, 2015 3:44 PM

Answers

• Hi David VB2005,

So your computer now can recognize the phone, is it right?

Then please try with following steps to check your project and your Visual Studio installation and configurations.

1. Please check the Target device property of your project in Debug tab. If you want to deploy it to your device, please set it as "Device".
    2. Please try to deploy your project to emulator, whether it can be deployed on Windows Phone emulator.
    3. Please go to Control Panel -> Device manager -> Portable devices, uninstall your phone from the list and re-plugin it to install it again, which can help us re-install the device's driver.
    4. please make sure that the Windows Phone IP Over USB Transport(IpOverUsbSvc) service is running.
    5. Please check your Visual Studio 2015 through Control Panel -> Programs -> Visual Studio 2015 -> Change -> Modify, the Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8/8.1 tools should be checked and installed. If not, please check and install it.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, December 28, 2015 1:31 AM

All replies

• Hi David VB2005,

Please check the Output window first, whether there has any messages when the UA not recognize your Lumia.

Please confirm your computer has recognized the connected device. If the device is recognized, it will be listed as a drive in File Explorer.

Then please make sure the Windows Phone IP over USB Transport service must be running.

In addition, please refer to following article which introduce about deploying and running apps on a Windows Phone device. And it also provide the troubleshooting steps for the problem when deploying apps. Hope that can help you.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/ff402565%28v=vs.105%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#BKMK_device

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 7:06 AM
  • Thanks Weiwei,

When I plug in the Lumia 950 to a USB port, it charges the battery and the PC will intermittently pop a window for synching photos. But Explorer doesn't list the phone as a drive.

The article you linked to goes into details for a Windows 8 phone. Do I need to install the Windows 8.0 SDK in order to register the Windows 10 phone?

Here are the error messages when I try to deploy to "DEVICE":

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error  Error : DEP6100 : The following unexpected error occurred during bootstrapping stage 'Connecting to the device '30F10ETC-6ETC-4ETC-AETC-7C0ETC_ETC_ETC'.':
    DeviceException - Deployment failed because no Windows Phone was detected. Make sure a phone is connected and powered on. [APP NAME]   

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error  Error : DEP6200 : Bootstrapping 'Device' failed. Device cannot be found. Deployment failed because no Windows Phone was detected. Make sure a phone is connected and powered on. [APP NAME]

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 2:45 PM
  • Hi David VB2005,

>>When I plug in the Lumia 950 to a USB port, it charges the battery and the PC will intermittently pop a window for synching photos. But Explorer doesn't list the phone as a drive.

Since your phone is not listed in Explorer, it is means your computer is not recognize your phone. And you mentioned that the PC will intermittently pop a windows for synching photos after you plug in the Lumia to a USB port, it should be the problem of poor contact between your Lumia 950 and computer.

This problem may be caused by below hardware. Please check them to make sure which one has the problem.

1. USB port on computer: please change another USB port on your computer to confirm whether this USB post is broken.
    2. Data wire: please change another data wire to make sure your data wire is fine.
    3. USB port on Lumia: This may need you change another Lumia to verify whether the problem occurs with your USB port on Lumia.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 1:54 AM
  • I do see the "Windows Phone" in the Explorer, but the VS2015 app still can't deploy to the phone set, with the same errors.
    Friday, December 25, 2015 8:48 PM
  • Hi David VB2005,

So your computer now can recognize the phone, is it right?

Then please try with following steps to check your project and your Visual Studio installation and configurations.

1. Please check the Target device property of your project in Debug tab. If you want to deploy it to your device, please set it as "Device".
    2. Please try to deploy your project to emulator, whether it can be deployed on Windows Phone emulator.
    3. Please go to Control Panel -> Device manager -> Portable devices, uninstall your phone from the list and re-plugin it to install it again, which can help us re-install the device's driver.
    4. please make sure that the Windows Phone IP Over USB Transport(IpOverUsbSvc) service is running.
    5. Please check your Visual Studio 2015 through Control Panel -> Programs -> Visual Studio 2015 -> Change -> Modify, the Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8/8.1 tools should be checked and installed. If not, please check and install it.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, December 28, 2015 1:31 AM
  • Thanks Weiwei.

I followed your advice, and any UWA will still not run on my machine in debug mode. The Win10 phone is recognized, and the service you listed is running. I had to modify VS2015 to include emulators, and downloaded and installed the Win10 emulator, but within VS2015 there is no option for debugging to an emulator; there is an option to 'Download New Emulators . . ." but that's all. The only option I have is "Device" and "Remote Machine". Before with VS2013 and Win Mobile 8.1 I could run an emulator okay. I wonder, too, why I can't just debug it as a UWA on my own PC?

I can program for Win10 Desktop just fine; it's the UWA which I can't debug in. This is a big problem for me, because I create UWA apps in AppStudio, generate, download and open them in VS2015 to alter some HTML categories, and can successfully upload them into the store where they pass certification, but I really need to be able to test them first within VS2015. Any pointers appreciated.

Sunday, February 21, 2016 5:10 PM