Simply right-click the "Command Prompt" and choose to "Run as Administrator does not work RRS feed

• Question

•  

Simply right-click the "Command Prompt" and choose to "Run as Administrator, does not work as it will not let you run the cmd as an admin the box is grayed out.

i hate the UAC but when you turn it off nothing shows up in the network and you have to path out the address to other computers.

but as there are only 4 computer names on my network i can live with that i think the uac is halfbaked and really needs to be fixed.

i like vista but treating everyone like a noob and not letting them do basic IT work makes the os uselss for most network job's

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 11:08 PM

All replies

• You don't need to go into the properties, you can just use the "Run As Administrator" option directly from the shortcut's context menu.

If you want to create a shortcut that always asks for elevation, open the shortcut properties I select the shortcut tab, click Advanced, then check the "Run as an Administrator" option.

• Proposed as answer by Fisnik Hasani Sunday, October 4, 2009 5:05 PM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2007 11:45 PM
  • Hi AndyCadley:

He is right! However, I agree, that UAC in Windows Vista hasn't been the best thing.

But, things are different in Windows 7.

Have a nice day...

Best regards,
    Fisnik
    Coder24.com
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 5:06 PM
  • Hello Zandor:

Is this issue solved? How is the situation on your side?
    Please provide some information, thanks!

Have a nice day...

Best regards,
    Fisnik
    Coder24.com
    Friday, October 9, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Things aren't that much different with the release of Windows 7...

I've been trying to install an ad-blocker (Privoxy for starters, then IE7Pro) for a standard user on my pc .. however every attempt has failed.  I can only install an ad-blocker if I setup the account as an Administrator .. and leave it as an administrator.  Pointless if you're trying to keep ____ from "I don't know how to operate a PC" users from inadvertantly downloading and/or installing spam/adware.  The built-in Guest account, as with every other revision of Windows, is ____.  To perform a good get-around, I like setting up a Standard user and giving it limited privelages/rights and additional security restrictions.. especially since kids like to use the PC.  With the attempt of installing IE7Pro, the installer prompts me that the installation was successful, but since admin right aren't enabled, no folder is created and no files are copied into the C:\Program Files (x86)\ directory.  When I right click the exe installer and select "Run as Administrator", no prompt is provided for admin approval or an administrator password, and the installer launches like normal with the same results.  When I enable admin rights to the account, the application is installed correctly, and works just fine.  I disable Admin rights and set the account as a standard user :  Application error.  I've tried setting additional security rights with the right-click, properties, security tab to allow the user full rights to the program, but nothing works.  End Result:  No anti-spam/adware will run for the standard accounts.  I have also noticed that my AVG Anti-Virus also doesn't work with any standard users on my machine.  AVG Internet Security 9 is installed with all features enabled.  Errors exist as soon as a standard user logs onto my machine causing the Firewall, ad-ware, and email scanner to shut down.  The security protocol implimented with Windows 7 standard users is flawed drastically on my machine.  The sad thing is, I'm not running the RC or beta of Win7 either.  This is a full final release of Windows 7 (x96-64) Ultimate.  Microsoft SteadyState still has no compatibility with Windows 7; which is a bummer too.  If anyone has any ideas on what can be done to rid myself (or anyone else) of these stubborn "glitches", feel free to let me know. 

P.S. .. I have considered Mozilla FireFox (since plugin's are simple to work with), however i'm trying to work with the basics here.. and the fact that my AVG Internet Security software is violated by Windows 7 kinda pisses me off, too.  griffithsbs@hotmail.com or www.facebook.com/liquidzero to contact me.  ~LiquidZero
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:27 AM
  • Things aren't that much different with the release of Windows 7...

I agree! Even if the release of Windows 7 seemed perfect, still the system works
    as all other "standard" no BIG changes.

Some GUI modifications but not large overall scale changes; as it was in Windows Vista.
    Coder24.com
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:36 PM
  •  and the fact that my AVG Internet Security software is violated by Windows 7 kinda pisses me off, too.  griffithsbs@hotmail.com or www.facebook.com/liquidzero to contact me.  ~LiquidZero

Mozilla is a good choice, since you have easy plug-in's that you can install and update.
    AVG Internet Security or Grisoft as the company name is; that is another BAD choice,
    please install Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 instead.

Coder24.com
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:38 PM
  • Pre AVG, I tried Kaspersky .. but resources from it's scanner executable sucked up resources like a wild prostitute.  Kaspersky looked really cool, and I think it rocks my socks of under XP, but not Vista and 7.

As for your comment about my comparison of 7 with Vista, I have noticed that the biggest fluke with Vista has been removed with 7:
    Let's say you're a guy like me who likes to install a bunch of ____.. see how it works.. then remove it from Windows; like a new game or something.  When you install your program in Vista, Vista saves a bunch of junk "resources" (Libraries, configuration files, install/uninstall info, etc..).  But when you uninstall, most of that ____ is left behind.  After 3 weeks of Vista, I had accumulated well over 80 GB in unnecessary data from applications that did not exist anymore ... programs like ActiVision games and such.. beta software or new software that was tried once or twice then uninstalled.  After uninstalling everything but Office Pro 2007, 80 Gig's of waste + 8 Gigs of OS = stupid.  Not in 7.  Well.. at least not since the beta and RC releases.  This, to me, is a major improvement to the intelligence of Microsoft development.  And with this, I can sleep better.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 4:54 AM
  • Hi again:

How is the situation on your side?
    Is this thread solved?

Please tell me!

Have a nice day...

Best regards,
    Fisnik
    Coder24.com
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 10:17 AM
  • Hi again:

Is this thread solved or NOT?