Architecture for management of downloadable files by temporary link from server RRS feed

• Question

• User-76206965 posted

Hi everyone,

I state immediately that I'm not an expert about ASP.NET but I just approached this world. I come right to the point. The main goal is distribution of a software package by download it from a personal area of a web server.

In outline the process is this:
    1. A user registers himself on the website by entering the usual data such as e-mail address;
    2. He get an email with a temporary link for e-mail confirmation;
    3. After the e-mail confirmation, in his area is activated a link where the user can download the installer of the program;

Of course, all done in ASP.NET.

So I would start a discussion about this subject about how to achive my goal,. Does anyone know direct me?

Thank you all

Greetings

Monday, December 26, 2016 11:20 AM

All replies

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

You could create a new guid value (Guid.NewGuid() on the C# side or NEWID() on the SQL Server side) with a creation or expiration date. The generated email link would use that as a parameter.

Beyond describing what you are trying to do it is also useful to know the very first problem you have in doing so so that we can focus where you need help (especially if you are  new it is not always easy to grasp which kind of help you need).

Monday, December 26, 2016 12:27 PM
  • User-76206965 posted

Hi PatriceSc,

thank you for replay. The main goal is the distribution of a software package by download it from a personal area of a web server. Consequently, I'll have to handle user authentication, application serial number and file download procedure. Technologies involved could be ASP NET, MVC,  SQL server and maybe Microsoft Azure. I'm not an expert about ASP NET, and so I need help to start.

Thank you again

Monday, December 26, 2016 4:51 PM
  • User-707554951 posted

Hi,Simon_It

From your description. I am not sure what is problem.

I think what you could refine your problem. and list a list of your problem after that.

Then I could give my answer on your each question.

Best Regards

Cathy

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 8:18 AM
  • User-76206965 posted

Hi Cathy,

you are right. My problem is that I don't know where to start from. If you ask me about to create a C++ console application, I talk to you about main function, compilers, c++ statements and so on. This is to make you understand the comparison. In the past I've made some very simple site by Visual Studio project and bootstrap: this is all my background.

A possible questions could be:

• How should I handle the user profiles ?
    • How should I handle login to website ?
    • How should I handle the download button enabling only when a user is authenticated ?
    • Might it be a good idea to use Azure Technologies ?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Simone

Saturday, December 31, 2016 10:28 AM