After upgrading from .Net 3.0 to .Net 4.0 workflow stopped working, but only on QA.

Question

• I have a simple workflow that I upgraded from 3.0 to 4.0. It works on my machine, it works on my Dev server, but on my QA server nothing happens. It runs, gives me back a GUID, tells me it's running, but doesn't save anything into the WorkflowActivity table.

The code is very simple, see below. How can I debug to see why my information is not being saved, yet everything is telling me that the workflow has started. The biggest problem is that on my dev machine it's fine, it's the QA server that it's not working, and I'm not sure how to debug this.

public string SubmitECAF(int EcafId, string Comments)
        {
            string returnValue = string.Empty;
            try
            {
                Dictionary<String, Object> wfArguments = GetWorkflowArgs(EcafId);

WorkflowRuntime workflowRuntime = (WorkflowRuntime)Application["WorkflowRuntime"];
                ManualWorkflowSchedulerService scheduler = workflowRuntime.GetService(typeof(ManualWorkflowSchedulerService)) as ManualWorkflowSchedulerService;
                WorkflowInstance instance = workflowRuntime.CreateWorkflow(typeof(ApprovalWorkflow), wfArguments);
                instance.Start();
                returnValue = instance.InstanceId.ToString();

}
            catch(Exception ex)
            {
                bool rethrow = ExceptionPolicy.HandleException(ex, "Exception Policy");
                if (rethrow)
                {
                    throw new InvalidOperationException("Failed to submit ECAF workflow", ex);
                }
            }
            return returnValue;
        }

There is 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

• Moved by Tim Lovell-SmithModerator Wednesday, October 3, 2012 12:05 AM WF3 framework question (From:Windows Workflow Foundation 4)
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 6:41 PM

Answers

• I have found the issue, and it had nothing to do with Workflow and how it was setup. One of the Rule in the Rules engine I've implemented was breaking the workflow.

There is 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 1:52 PM

All replies