Excel 2013 and 2016 VSTO Add-in RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Windows 7 Professional SP 1

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4300U CPU @ 1.90GHz 2.50GHz

RAM: 8.00 GB System Type: 64-bit Operating System

Visual Studio Community 2015 14.0.25420.01 Update 3

Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus Version 16.0.7369.2038

Microsoft Excel 2016 MSO (16.0.7329.1017) 32-bit

I'm trying to learn how to create a Excel VSTO Add-In. I tried to run a blank project and ran into a problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Error: Managed Debugging Assistant 'FatalExecutionEngineError' has detected a problem in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\excel.exe'.

Additional information: The runtime has encountered a fatal error. The address of the error was at 0x63f41920, on thread 0x2260. The error code is 0xc0000005. This error may be a bug in the CLR or in the unsafe or non-verifiable portions of user code. Common sources of this bug include user marshaling errors for COM-interop or PInvoke, which may corrupt the stack.

Error: An unhandled exception of type 'System.ExecutionEngineException' occurred in Unknown Module.

The code for ThisAddIn.cs:

using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Text;
    using System.Xml.Linq;
    using Excel = Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel;
    using Office = Microsoft.Office.Core;
    using Microsoft.Office.Tools.Excel;

namespace FirstExcelAddIn
    {
        public partial class ThisAddIn
        {
            private void ThisAddIn_Startup(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
            {
            }

private void ThisAddIn_Shutdown(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
            {
            }

#region VSTO generated code

/// <summary>
            /// Required method for Designer support - do not modify
            /// the contents of this method with the code editor.
            /// </summary>
            private void InternalStartup()
            {
                this.Startup += new System.EventHandler(ThisAddIn_Startup);
                this.Shutdown += new System.EventHandler(ThisAddIn_Shutdown);
            }

#endregion
        }
    }

• Moved by Chenchen Li Thursday, November 3, 2016 2:45 AM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 7:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Since you are creating a new blank project, according to the error message, I think your issue is more related to CLR, I would move this thread into the following forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=clr

Sorry for any inconvenience and have a nice day! 

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 3, 2016 2:45 AM
  • Hi Apexus,

I want to confirm with you that did you have installed Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit on your Excel?

Please see  Visual Studio 2015 Excel Debugger not working

If above still not working, I suspect that you have an environment issue because of a blank project.

Try to repair your VSTO and repair your VS2015. If you have any new updates please let me know.

In addition, I also tested on my side with update3, It works fine. But my OS is Win10.Sorry, I don't have win7 machine.

Best regards,

Kristin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Kristin Xie Friday, November 4, 2016 2:10 AM
    Friday, November 4, 2016 2:05 AM
  • Hi Apexus,

What's the problem now? Do you have any updates now?

Best regards,

Kristin

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, November 10, 2016 9:14 AM