Who provides Maps for SEA region for Live Maps and how do we embed them to Live Maps RRS feed

• Question

• Kind of new here but would like to know is there a service provider that updates SEA region for Live Maps, specifically for Thailand Region and its city Bangkok?  It's just that i got some project that requires using live map services as base platform but unfortunately the aerial view seems to be outdated.  Appreciate every comments. Thanks.

Let me know if i'm asking the right/wrong question.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 4:06 AM

Answers

• Hello,
    I would like to make some comments that may be useful for you. First of all, we need to make a difference between Virtual Earth and Live Maps. The first is a platform which provides mapping capabilities that can be used by anyone through an API. The second is a Microsoft web site which take advantage of the Virtual Earth technology to showcase what you can do with it (and also to provide a useful service indeed! ).
    Depending on your application, you will probably need to use Virtual Earth, and you may find several links on this forum, my starting points would be the Interactive SDK and ViaWindowsLive web site.

Regarding your question about coverage, Bangkok seems to have a good (even if not up-to-date) aerial coverage, but is missing bird's eye imagery. This can be a good starting point, considering that the imagery is continuously getting updated and Microsoft is investing a lot of money on this platform.
    Updating the imagery depends on its availability on the market. I don't know all the details of what happens behind the scenes, but they have very frequent updates. A couple of weeks ago they had a large update, for example. Maybe Bangkok will be next!

Hope this helps,
    Roberto.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 9:50 AM
  • If you are interested in overlaying your own more detialed / more current images it is very possible. You need to:

1. Source and License the images
    2. Have the images in the correct projection and alignment for VE
    3. Cut the images into VE tiles
    4. Host them.

I have contacts here that could help (I'm based in Australia) give me an email if your interested in going done this path, it's cost is going to based on the content, your licensing requirements and the area required. I have been involved in several project to have done this successfully.

John at soulsolutions.com.au

Saturday, December 8, 2007 12:36 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    I would like to make some comments that may be useful for you. First of all, we need to make a difference between Virtual Earth and Live Maps. The first is a platform which provides mapping capabilities that can be used by anyone through an API. The second is a Microsoft web site which take advantage of the Virtual Earth technology to showcase what you can do with it (and also to provide a useful service indeed! ).
    Depending on your application, you will probably need to use Virtual Earth, and you may find several links on this forum, my starting points would be the Interactive SDK and ViaWindowsLive web site.

Regarding your question about coverage, Bangkok seems to have a good (even if not up-to-date) aerial coverage, but is missing bird's eye imagery. This can be a good starting point, considering that the imagery is continuously getting updated and Microsoft is investing a lot of money on this platform.
    Updating the imagery depends on its availability on the market. I don't know all the details of what happens behind the scenes, but they have very frequent updates. A couple of weeks ago they had a large update, for example. Maybe Bangkok will be next!

Hope this helps,
    Roberto.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 9:50 AM
  • If you are interested in overlaying your own more detialed / more current images it is very possible. You need to:

1. Source and License the images
    2. Have the images in the correct projection and alignment for VE
    3. Cut the images into VE tiles
    4. Host them.

I have contacts here that could help (I'm based in Australia) give me an email if your interested in going done this path, it's cost is going to based on the content, your licensing requirements and the area required. I have been involved in several project to have done this successfully.

John at soulsolutions.com.au

Saturday, December 8, 2007 12:36 AM