Bing Maps RRS feed

• Question

• How do I use Bing Maps? Will it be delivered installed on the phone?

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 8:58 AM

All replies

• I think he's referring to the Silverlight version of Bing maps.

I tried to use the Bing maps Silverlight control in Windows Phone but it was complaining that there was a reference to Silverlight 2.0 in there or something so it wouldn't compile. Seemed like it was close though cause in the designer you could see the world map. EDIT: Here's the error I got.

Warning 2 The primary reference "Microsoft.Maps.MapControl.Common" could not be resolved because it has an indirect dependency on the framework assembly "System.Windows.Browser, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e" which could not be resolved in the currently targeted framework. "Silverlight,Version=v4.0,Profile=WindowsPhone". To resolve this problem, either remove the reference "Microsoft.Maps.MapControl.Common" or retarget your application to a framework version which contains "System.Windows.Browser, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e".
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 10:47 AM
  • Bing maps control in SL is definitely on our interest list to support. The version that is on the web today does have dependencies on JS and System.Windows.Browser which is not supported in the out of browser model on WP7. That said we are actively looking into the Bing Maps control support.

Thursday, March 18, 2010 1:34 AM
  • If you add a reference to System.Windows.Browser.dll, usually located in one of the version directories in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight" (mine was in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight\3.0.50106.0), the application will build and you will be able to see the map in the emulator when you run. The map will move around fine, but the little navigation orb seems to be offset from the corner. Not sure what is going on with that. NOTE: This will probably not work on a real phone, but since they aren't going to be around for a while, I figure it's a good way to get a map up to play with.
    Friday, March 19, 2010 1:58 PM
  • Ok, thanks for the information.

I made my own map control just to see how the maps would look like on the phone. Here's the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHHjw-8uW_U

Saturday, March 20, 2010 5:09 AM
  •  The Bing map control should just work, because in the RTM version they made a fix where it works in the Silverlight Out of the Browser mode.  During the beta it ONLY worked on the web (required JavaScript).  Since the Windows Phone 7 supports Silverlight OOB, it makes sense that this control should work if it isn't doing any calls to the unsupported API methods.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 12:59 PM
  • I wrote a quick article for anyone who wants to get started with the Bing Maps control for WP7 and what gotchas are there:

http://silverlighthack.com/post/2010/03/21/Using-the-Silverlight-Bing-Maps-control-on-the-Windows-Phone-7.aspx

Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:09 PM
  • I wrote a quick article for anyone who wants to get started with the Bing Maps control for WP7 and what gotchas are there:

http://silverlighthack.com/post/2010/03/21/Using-the-Silverlight-Bing-Maps-control-on-the-Windows-Phone-7.aspx

Thanks,  Bart.  Very helpful article.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:26 PM