Outline on a font..can be done? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello There :

I ve been strugling trying to find a way on putting an outline to a Font. what I mean is to put the font on one color and the outline different color, not quite sure if this is possible or there is a way around. at the moment  I am duplicating the font, of course this seems more as shadow than an outline.

Other thing is I notice that some of the caracter function as inline or other caracter function does not work properly, can you tell me if this is gonna change?...other prob that i have is that some fonts as I read on other treads cannot be shown by blend.

Many Thanks!

Friday, April 25, 2008 3:38 PM

All replies

• Howdy,

At the moment about the only way to come close to putting an outline on your font is to use an OuterGlow BitmapEffect, which is just plain nasty.

Even if you use this and set the Noise value to 0%, you wont get a crisp outline, not to mention worst of all... BitmapEffects are software rendered at the moment (this will be fixed soon).

You can try the following :

1     <Grid x:Name="LayoutRoot">  
    2         <TextBlock HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Center" Width="Auto" Height="48" Text="This is my outline text" 
    3          TextWrapping="Wrap" Foreground="#FFFFFFFF" FontSize="36">  
    4             <TextBlock.BitmapEffect> 
    5                 <OuterGlowBitmapEffect GlowSize="3" GlowColor="#FFFF0000"/>  
    6             </TextBlock.BitmapEffect> 
    7         </TextBlock> 
    9     </Grid> 

Unless you really need this, I would off until BitmapEffects are hardware rendered and you would be able to create a nice crisp outline because you will also be able to build your own effects easily.

HTH

Cheers
    Learn Expression Blend at learnexpressionstudio.com
    Monday, April 28, 2008 9:03 AM
  • I want to add a shadow effect to a grid. I see that in Expression Blend you can do that by using bitmap effects.
    I am using Expression Blend 2.5 March 2008 and in the user guide it says

In the Properties panel, under Appearance, click one of the following options next to BitmapEffect:

• Blur   To simulate looking at an object through an out-of-focus lens.

• Outer Glow   To create a halo of color around the perimeter of an object.

• Drop Shadow   To create a shadow behind an object.

• Bevel   To create a bevel that raises the surface of an image according to a specified curve.

• Emboss   To create a bump mapping of a visual to give the impression of depth and texture from an artificial light source.

But I do not see BitmapEffect option. I do not see it even when I start typing in xaml.

Please help!
    Sunday, June 8, 2008 1:00 PM
  • hey VJbagman,

select the font and then from the menu Object > Path > Convert to Path. Once this is done then in the properties panel you can add a stroke of variable width and of course any color even gradient which is pretty cool.

Note that changing a font to a path is one shot which means that some time in the future you can't then decide to change it back to text.
    steve
    Sunday, June 8, 2008 9:08 PM
  • Hi luvtocode,

select the grid and in the properties panel expand the appearance panel (arrow pointing down - tooltip show advanced properties) this will open up to reveal the bitmapeffects
    steve
    Sunday, June 8, 2008 9:10 PM
  • Howdy,

To see the bitmap effects, you need to look in the advanced properties of the Appearence category... (should be a little arrow at the bottom of the category) or you can type bitmap into the property search box to see it.

HTH

Cheers
    Learn Expression Blend at learnexpressionstudio.com -- my blog : http://x-coders.com/blogs/sneaky/default.aspx
    Sunday, June 8, 2008 9:14 PM
  • Steve we must have responded at exactly the same time as each other... lol..

Cheers
    Learn Expression Blend at learnexpressionstudio.com -- my blog : http://x-coders.com/blogs/sneaky/default.aspx
    Sunday, June 8, 2008 9:18 PM
  • Thanks Steve and Brennon!

I am still not able to find Bitmap effects. Under Appearance, all I can see are Opacity and Visibility properties. When I search Bitmap, I get " No properties match the search criteria"

I am using Expression Blend 2.5 March 2008 and I am using Silverlight 2 project. Is it the right version?

Monday, June 9, 2008 11:00 AM
  • oh...It looks like Bitmap effect is ot available for Silverlight application. When I create WPF project, I can see the bitmap effect.
    Now my question is how to get that effect in silverlight? Is it even possible?
    Monday, June 9, 2008 11:04 AM