locked
Workflow is immediately throwing "Error Occurred" RRS feed

  • Question

  • We are running MOSS 2007 Enterprise and are running into problems with one of our normal workflows.  We have a Legal workflow which simply creates a list item in a separate list (List B) when it is launched (currently is triggered when a new item is created in List A).  Up until a few days ago, the workflow was fine.  On Jan 3rd, all workflows began throwing "Error Occurred" as soon as they were run.  When I check the detail on the error, I see "Error updating a list item".

    I tried to troubleshoot this by adding Email alerts in each step of the workflow to see how far the workflow is getting before it errors out.  Even if I change Step 1 to send me an email when there are no conditions, I don't get the email.  Something is stopping the workflow before it even begins Step 1.  I do not see anything in Event Viewer or the logs.  I tried an iisreset but no luck.  Any suggestions?

    EDIT - Other workflows on the same list are still working.  No edits were made to the workflow prior to it starting to fail

    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:42 PM

Answers

  • I was able to figure out what the issue was.  In our workflow, one of the steps assigns a variable to a user's hardcoded email address.  For example:

    If Region = USA
    Set variable to bob.smith@company.com

    I found that if I changed it to:

    If Region = USA
    Set variable to DOMAIN\bsmith

    now it works.  Something must have changed in our company IT settings which prevents using the email address.  Now that it is changed to the username, it works fine.

    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:36 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:23 PM