And what I do with vba macros in Expression Web 4 ? RRS feed

• Question

• We always use version 2 until the panacea promised?

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:35 PM

Answers

• Nothing.  VBA macros will not work in version 4 or in any future version.  The new extensibility model and the the tools to assist you in writing add-ins have all been completed as promised and you'll find more information in the "Add-In" thread at the top of this forum.
    Paul Bartholomew, Microsoft Expression Web
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:46 PM

All replies

• What promise?
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:36 PM
  • Nothing.  VBA macros will not work in version 4 or in any future version.  The new extensibility model and the the tools to assist you in writing add-ins have all been completed as promised and you'll find more information in the "Add-In" thread at the top of this forum.
    Paul Bartholomew, Microsoft Expression Web
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:46 PM
  • Doe's it exist in French ?
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 8:09 PM
  • ???

Did VBA?

Seriously, I'm curious. I never thought of VBA having other-language syntax and constructs. I'm picturing something like "On Error Resume Next" as "sur le résumé d'erreur après." Somehow that just doesn't click...

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 8:45 PM
  • I suspect that it documentation of how to create EW 4 extensions not the html/css/javascript used by them that he's concerned about.

As far as I know it is English or machine tranlated is a possiblity. Though Yoshi was working on a Japanese translation after attempting to read the machine translation she decided her translation while not perfect was better than the machine version.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 9:10 PM
  • Yeah, that makes sense, now that you mention it. French is one of the languages MS supports for EW, so it's possible the documentation might be available (is there a French MSDN?).

Machine translations can be hilarious sometimes, especially if you translate back and forth and compare the results to the original. They're better than nothing, of course (most of the time ;-), and permit a degree of communication between speakers of different tongues that wouldn't exist otherwise. But for technical documentation? Nah, don't think so...

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 9:23 PM
  • There is indeed a French MSDN but I still suspect it would be a machine translation.
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 9:28 PM
  • (is there a French MSDN?)

Does Microsoft bring a help on French MSDN?
    No, no information, no answer.
    I have macro vba.
    MS abandoned(gave up) the VBA.
    I am thus going to have to translate them in I do not know what.
    And for it I need help(assistant) in French.
    Shall I have him(it)?

This mssage was automatically translated, you would have suspected it.

Sunday, July 4, 2010 9:54 PM
  • That is bad news. I am good at writing VB macros. I am still not sure why they removed it. Why should I learn to use the new addin system, wish I tried out the trial first before I bought this crappy system.

I wrote a complex vb macro for expression web 2. And now its sless. Thanks MICROSOFT !!!

When they calls somrthing and upgrade, it should retain the old features while improving on them and adding new features. Not taking out features to ____ off customers.

Friday, August 20, 2010 9:07 PM
  • New system has me playing around with too many files and too many settings. VB macros was easier.

I don't think the new system is that well integrated, example creating new addins is a pain in the ____. There should be a guided editor system for creating them. And screw the XML. xml sucks ____. Editors make xml, i shouldn't have to mess with xml and manifest files.

the VB macro edito was easier, everything was devided into subs/functions, and the screen spilts and groups stuff so you know what is what, and what is where.

the vb macro editor took me 5 mins to figure out and to write my first macro, but the new way has me hunting gfor solutions becuase the lack of integration.

Friday, August 20, 2010 9:34 PM
  • Then keep using EW2.
    --
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    Friday, August 20, 2010 10:58 PM
  • There is an add-in builder that was written by one of the guys on the product group for Web 4. It makes it really easy to create a manifest without looking at XML. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/xweb/archive/2010/06/07/easily-create-an-add-in-for-expression-web-4-with-the-add-in-builder.aspx.

As someone who has programmed macros and add-ins for FrontPage and Expression Web for almost 15 years, I can tell you that the new extensibility model is far easier than the old API. If you're truly interested in extending the product, I encourage you to seriously check out the new model. Based on your comments, I can't believe you've given it much of a look.

Jim

Friday, August 20, 2010 11:25 PM
  • "Based on your comments, I can't believe you've given it much of a look."

Well, of course not. :-) It's much easier, and a whole lot more fun, to ____ and moan about an obsolete technology that was dropped years ago than to actually find out if what replaced it might be better.

cheers,
    scott

Saturday, August 21, 2010 2:43 AM
  • ... I can tell you that the new extensibility model is far easier than the old API. If you're truly interested in extending the product, I encourage you to seriously check out the new model. Based on your comments, I can't believe you've given it much of a look.
    Hi Jim
    What you do not understand:
    You are a professional developer. No problem for you.
    I am a simple user and the language vba and its use are is in my reach.
    We change many things by eliminating the vba: leave the place to the professional programmers.
    Too bad for the users.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:17 AM
  • I am just complaining about the integration. It should of came as an option on the CD intself, not as an extra download.

Even .net 4.0 is not on the CD, and required a download. Sucks as installation wont install unless .net 4.0 is installed.

I still think there is no reason to remove the vb macro and its editor.

Expression web 4.0 could utilize both macro engines if needed.

I find vb macros very easy to use. and works out of the box without haing to download osmething else.

And since vb macros are similar with all microsoft products, I found it very convenient.

I just don't like how microsoft keeps ending standards, and replacing it with something new all the time. backwards compatability is nice, and is expected in the same product line. They keep backwards compatability with directx and .net, but with some products they keep chaging things up.

Anyways, I just don't like the idea of heaving to learn a new addin system just to get work done.  Its bad enough I have to always learn new things for what I am creating as technology changes so fast, but to mess around with creating macros just to get work done means I am loosing productivity. And lost time is money. So, which means this new software costs a lot as I have to spend time creating new tools, something I didn't account for when purchasing this software.

I am sure the new plugin system is good and easy, but think it from productivity aspect.

I am an expert working with javascript so thats no problem. But I don't think Javascript is a good choice for Data manipulation. (perl is better)

Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:38 AM
  • I just don't like how Microsoft keeps ending standards, and replacing it with something new all the time. backwards compatibility is nice, and is expected in the same product line. They keep backwards comparability with directx and .net, but with some products they keep changing things up.

Evolution is a process of selective destruction. Microsoft must evolve or die.
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:47 AM
  • I am amazed that users take the defense of MS against the interest of the other users.
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 10:12 AM
  • Geo,

Using Javascript, html, css & xml is the how most web design programs are extended. VBA is MS proprietary and MS has been trying to replace it with dotnet for almost a decade now.

The move to a javascript/html/css extension process is one that the folks on this forum and in other venues have been asking for since the first beta/ctp of Expression Web in 2005. That is how add-ins and extensions are made for Dreamweaver, Rapidweaver and almost every CMS out there that doesn't use server side processing and even there you will find HTML & CSS used with or without javascript.

In the web world the number of people who use VBA is a fraction of a percent of those who use the other technologies listed. HTML & CSS are the backbone of websites. Javascript is what add then spice. You don't need to know XML to create an add-in because there is an add-in that will do that for you.

MS has learned that they cannot control the web and because they tried market share of IE went way down to half of what it was a decade ago. So its web editor can't use exclusively MS technology which is a good thing for users not a bad thing as you seem to be saying. As a web professional I need a tool that is stong on cross platform & cross browser and not one that is too proprietary. Expression works for me where FrontPage was a hobbyists and "information worker" tool. I used to use Dreamweaver 90% of the time and now I use Expression Web more than Dreamweaver.

FYI, it isn't that we are defending Microsoft but that we are defending use web & industry standards over proprietary methods. Besides it is easier for me as a web pro to think in terms of html, css & javascript that VBA which I associate only with Office.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 3:36 PM
  • I am amazed that users take the defense of MS against the interest of the other users.
    Seldom is there a product development decision that is not adverse to some specific user. Product featuring is a tough balancing act between the interests of the few vs the interests of the whole and the short term expediency vs long term progress. What I am amazed about Geo is that you don't get it.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 5:50 PM
  • Lets me suggest that you join this Facebook group: Visual Basic on Facebook  

Or take a look at this YouTube video: Visual Basic on YouTube

Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:45 PM
  • I'm not at all a professional developer. I am a hobbyist developer, and I have to say, not a very good one at that! Programming is not my talent.

A Web developer absolutely must know JavaScript to design a modern site. That same developer must also know HTML and CSS. These are the exact same skills necessary to develop add-ins for Expression Web 4.

VBA and the VBA Editor in Expression Web were actually part of Office. When Expression Web 3 moved away from the Office code, macros were no longer available. However, if you're still interested in extending Expression Web using Visual Basic, you can certainly still do that using Visual Studio. That object model is still available to you.

Jim

Monday, August 23, 2010 1:06 AM
  • The old add-in system that has been available since the FrontPage days is still available to you. Outside of that, I have a hard time figuring out what point you're trying to make outside of making a proverbial mountain out of a molehill. :)

Jim

Monday, August 23, 2010 1:07 AM
  • The decision to add the new extensibility model was certainly one made in the interest of Expression Web users. As Cheryl stated, this is something that Expression Web users have been asking for. However, as I stated before, it you are married to the old API and you want to use VB to extend Expression Web, you can still do that.

With all of that said, learning the new model is very easy, and you soon find that some of the tough problems to solve in the old model are automatically solved for you. For example, getting the state of your menus to work correctly in the old model was sometimes tough. In the new model, it's drop-dead simple. That's just one example of many.

I think it would be hard to succeed in proving the new extensibilty model to be a step backward or to be a bad move for those wanting to extend Expression Web.

Jim

Monday, August 23, 2010 1:11 AM
  • Hi Cheryl and all

The difficulties do not come because new features. The work of the user is lost because the deletions.

And there is a support only in English.

Vba is certainly the most interactive tool for the development, still it had been necessary to want to develop it, whatever is the application.

By the way, I just learnt that the MVP have no  more Web Expression in their subscription MSDN, the problem is thus adjusted.

Friday, August 27, 2010 10:12 AM
  • Geo,

I agree with you that support needs to be in more than just English. It should be available in all of the languages that Expression Web is available in and that includes French, Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean and many more.

On the web and for the web VBA is a non-starter for more than just the reasons stated in this thread.

As for the MVP MSDN subscription that topic should be addressed on the MVP groups and I'll be happy to talk about it there but your lead should be able to help you get it.

Friday, August 27, 2010 1:48 PM