PowerPivot for Sharepoint: can I update the data model? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Excel file that contains a Power Pivot data model. After running some Power View analysis, I found out that my model was missing some relationships and hierarchies, so I wanted to edit my underlying data model, but I couldn't directly find a way..

What's the easiest way to do that? Is there even a way to do this?

Friday, May 30, 2014 1:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Jasper,

You can do this by opening the workbook from SharePoint in Excel on your desktop and then making the changes. When you save these changes they will be applied to the version in SharePoint.

If you manually download the workbook to a location of your choice, you can then make the changes but they won't automatically be applied to version in SharePoint when you save them. After making your changes to the copy, you can use the 'Upload Document' option on the SharePoint ribbon to add it to the same location as the existing version. Ensure that the updated workbook has the same name as the current version and double check that the 'Add as a new version to existing files' option is ticked.

Regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark a post that answers your question as an answer...If a post doesn't answer your question but you've found it helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful :)

Website: nimblelearn.com, Blog: nimblelearn.com/blog, Twitter: @nimblelearn

Friday, May 30, 2014 1:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Jasper,

You can do this by opening the workbook from SharePoint in Excel on your desktop and then making the changes. When you save these changes they will be applied to the version in SharePoint.

If you manually download the workbook to a location of your choice, you can then make the changes but they won't automatically be applied to version in SharePoint when you save them. After making your changes to the copy, you can use the 'Upload Document' option on the SharePoint ribbon to add it to the same location as the existing version. Ensure that the updated workbook has the same name as the current version and double check that the 'Add as a new version to existing files' option is ticked.

Regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark a post that answers your question as an answer...If a post doesn't answer your question but you've found it helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful :)

Friday, May 30, 2014 1:44 PM
  • Hey Michael,

Thanks a bunch for your answer, it certainly saved me a lot of work!

However, only your second option worked for me. Also, I didn't have to tick the "Add as new version to existing files", I just uploaded the document with the same name and allowed overwriting of existing files.

Your first option however didn't really do what I wanted. I was able to open it in Excel, but when I went to "Manage" in the Power Pivot ribbon, the window opened, but my Model appeared to be empty. The Excel file did contain my data, but only in a normal Pivot table way. I could add a normal Pivot table with all my data (so somewhere, my data was contained in the file), but I was unable to edit the underlying model through Manage..

However, your answer helped, so thanks again!

Monday, June 2, 2014 7:14 AM
  • Hi Jasper,

No problem. It's strange that the first method didn't work for you but I'm glad that the second one did. In any case, thanks for feeding back on exactly what worked for you, I'm sure that it will help others who come across this thread :)

Regards,

Michael

Monday, June 2, 2014 7:35 AM