Microsoft, how about providing the SB Developer's Guide book to teachers for free or a significantly reduced price RRS feed

• Question

• The main thing lacking from SB is adequate documentation.  This book would probably be very helpful to a teacher, but not at $60.00.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 9:09 PM

Answers

•   Hello Neer

I´ve printed introduction to programming in Small Basic. A short book but useful.

Also I´ve printed Small Basic Curriculum, a big one with a lot of examples
    It is  in  P Point that you convert to PDF and then print it. Itsn´t expensive
    My students are in secondary school 
    There are plenty of material, more the Forum that is too helpful       Best regards

carlosfmur - Buenos Aires

• Marked as answer by Neer-do-well Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:20 PM
    Sunday, March 11, 2012 9:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Neer-do-well,

as far as I know any publication on SmallBasic has been distributed for free like the Introducing Small Basic.pdf or the SmallBasic curricullum. I am not aware if Microsoft publishing any book on SmallBasic.

But if you found some books on SmallBasic, they are not from Microsoft. Those books are created by writers who has been learning on SmallBasic on their own. I suppose you too can learn SmallBasic and write your own book then sell it for $60.

If you need them at a lower price, you should probably contact the writer or the publishing company. We do not have any control on what price they are selling the books for.

Thank you for your interest in SmallBasic.

• Proposed as answer by Konrad Neitzel Thursday, March 8, 2012 1:42 PM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 12:54 PM
  • Thanks Khumara.

This is the book I'm talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Developers-Reference-Guide-Microsoft-Small/dp/1937161242/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331214012&sr=1-1

I thought it was published by Microsoft, but now I see it is not.  I did write the publisher to see if they can provide a free copy for teachers.  When they reply, I'll update this thread.

Thursday, March 8, 2012 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

in addition to Khumara, I have to say that I am missing the active community a little bit. This forum is already great and there is a Wiki and so on, but there are not enough user who try to contribute.

I know it from other software where a lot of people distribute what they did and that way they help each other. But that requires that some people are interested in using Small Basic and sharing their knowledge.

So if you want to base your teachings on Small basic: Great! If you are willing to spend some time and effort in it, then you are really welcome inside the forum. I am quite sure that multiple people woud like to help you prepare your lesson content. And once you prepared it, it could be quite nice to put that into the wiki. Maybe after a start, others might join in, too.

Just as an idea.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Thursday, March 8, 2012 1:47 PM
  • Thanks Konrad. 

My co-teacher and I are planning on using the PowerPoint slides as the basis of our curriculum, perhaps supplemented with certain programs we will assign the kids to write.  We are both retired programmers (mainframe) who became teachers, and so we appreciate complete documentation of the programming languages we use, and that is just lacking in SB.  The book looks great from the sample chapter we've seen, but it's very expensive, and most publishers provide teachers with books are reduced prices, or free.  We volunteer teach at a private boarding school for at-risk boys, and there is no budget for $60 programming books.

I'll continue to post here as we get into the curriculum.

Thursday, March 8, 2012 2:41 PM
  • The publisher of the book has placed the first five chapters online for everyone to use, and that's great. 

That will probably be sufficient for our needs this year.

Here is the link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/hh144790.aspx

Thursday, March 8, 2012 7:12 PM
  •   Hello Neer

I´ve printed introduction to programming in Small Basic. A short book but useful.

Also I´ve printed Small Basic Curriculum, a big one with a lot of examples
    It is  in  P Point that you convert to PDF and then print it. Itsn´t expensive
    My students are in secondary school 
    There are plenty of material, more the Forum that is too helpful       Best regards

• Marked as answer by Neer-do-well Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:20 PM
    Sunday, March 11, 2012 9:34 PM
  • Thanks carlosfmur1948.  I also downloaded all the PowerPoint files.  They are good, but just presenting them to the students would not be very helpful to the students, I believe.  We're going to base our curriculum on the Introduction to Small Basic book because the first few chapters look like a decent way to begin to present this topic to the students.  I've been in contact with the publisher and he is a nice guy and supportive of what we plan to do.  And I agree, this forum is a big help too.
    Monday, March 12, 2012 12:20 AM
  • Hi Neer
    I agree that SB Curriculum is not as friendly like an introduction to programming

I even discovered errors in printing that I reported to Kumara.

We will select the topics that are digestible for students.

Either way, we are talking about children and adolescents students.

The University teachs C#.NET, JAVA and UNIX and LINUX environment.

More new applications such as Windows Phone, Azure, Web Matrix, etc.

I do not think that Small Basic is a  commercial target for Microsoft.
    I believe that we will have to expand  its facilities among users.
    To me, I took the access from SB to MS Excel and MS Acces that yes taught in secondary schools.

I remain at your disposal

Regards

Monday, March 12, 2012 1:15 AM
  • Programming Teachers,

I have been reading this specific MSDN thread with a lot of interest and I have decided to create a special $10.00 Off Discount Code specifically for Teachers on this website.  When you order the "Developer's Reference Guide For Microsoft Small Basic" paperback textbook DIRECTLY from our website, type TEACHER in the Discount Code box and you will automatically get $10.00 off the Paperback textbook.  We also offer a "single user" Digital Download Only Edition for $34.95 for Teachers (if you would like to save a few trees).  For those teachers who are teaching the Small Basic material to a large class and prefer not purchasing a "single user" edition for each student in their class,  we are offering our annually renewable "unlimited user" Teacher Digital Site License Edition of the Developer's Reference Guide to Microsoft Small Basic for only $199.95.  The  Special "Unlimited User" Teacher Edition is provided in a MS-Word document format so you can add your own lessons to it and you can distribute the digital textbook on your school's Moodle website for each of your students to download and use on their computer. 

The Developer's Reference Guide to Microsoft Small Basic (with the special TEACHER discount code) can be found on this webpage:

http://www.computerscienceforkids.com/Pages/CompleteMicrosoftSmallBasicProgrammingReferenceGuide.aspx

Don't forget to tell your fellow programming teachers about this special offer. 

Best Regards,

Philip

P.S.  A very patient and caring teacher named Ed Olmstead taught me advanced CP/M BASIC  in 1979 and I have always appreciated him for that!  Teachers, especially programming teacher's have a very hard job and I am very thankful Ed Olmstead never gave up on me!

Thursday, May 24, 2012 6:04 AM
  •  

Hello !
    I'm teaching  Small Basic in a  high school bilingual (English / Spanish) in Argentina www.scms.edu.ar
    And we use Small Basic “ A Programming Introduction”  Spanish version
    While master both languages​​, students prefer working in Spanish
    Do you have texts in Spanish?
    thank you very much

Thursday, May 24, 2012 11:49 AM