none
WMI/SecurityCenter2 does not displays the product version in Win 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,
    I am trying to find all the installed AntiVirus their  status and its product version in Win 7 machine using c++ code.  Pre Vista OS on using WMI/SecurityCenter it detects the product version. How this can be achieved using WMI/SecurityCenter2 in WIn 7. As WMI/SecurityCenter2 does not detects the installed products version.  However WMI/SecurityCenter2 gives the information of  pathToSignedProductExe using this path and GetFileVersionInfo() and VerQueryValue()detects the version info  but it does not gives correct information. Eg:-  The product version detected for Avast  using above method is 10.2.2218.942 whereas when I go and select about Avast from system tray icon it displays 2015.10.2.2218. Almost same is the case with Macafee  Antivirus product. Anyone having idea how to get the exact version displayed by the AntiVirus. Please share how we can get the exact version displayed in the about.

• Edited by Iggy495 Tuesday, May 12, 2015 6:07 PM updated
    Tuesday, May 12, 2015 6:03 PM

All replies

• Hello Iggy495,

it is normal that you can see different version because every Antivirus should have two versions.

The first one is the version of the engine itself (the .EXE).

The second one is the version which changes more often - it's the version of the Virus-database. In this database, there are all virus signatures listed. As the AV updates this DB more than once a day (or even in real-time as AVAST does for example), this version changes very often.

This is because every user would hate it, if he would be forced to update the complete program only to get a new definition.

Moreover, it is not you business to check the AV-Version or the BD-Version. Every AV check itself for updates. This is perhaps the reason, why modern OS's do not support such a API.

© 2015 Thomas Roskop

Germany // Deutschland

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 6:30 PM
  • @Thomas. thanks for the answer. Is there any way we can get both version that is engine(the.exe) and the version of the Virus database. Moreover the application i am developing needs to find the exact version displayed in the about property of the tray icon( as i mentioned in my question post). Is there any API for this. 
    Wednesday, May 13, 2015 3:56 AM
  • Maybe you could try to use GetFileVersionInfo function to get the exe version information if you have the full path of the exe file.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms647003%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, May 21, 2015 9:29 AM