The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Virtual Machines!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

One drive for multiple virtual machines RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i am new to Azure VMs. I have created multiple VMs. i am currently using the internal drive but that is not wnough for me. I would like to add a new drive to my VMs but have the following questions:

a) how to create a new disk and attach it to my VM?

b) can i use one drive for multiple VMs? And how to configure this? What are the requirements?

c) Lets say i have a drive with 500Gb. do i need to pay for it/storage even if my machines are down?

Thanks and best regards

Bog

Best regards BOG

• Edited by BOG's Lab Tuesday, November 1, 2016 1:09 PM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2016 1:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here! We are happy to assist you.

1. Regarding creating and attaching the Data disk to the VM. Click here

1. You won’t be able to attach same disk to multiple VMs. If you need to have shared storage, best option is Blob storage. You could though create a share on from one of your VM's and allow access that way.

Check out the  Azure File Service

1. Since the storage has the data you will be charged.  If the VM down/deallocated or anything the actual storage for the VM is still persisted in the Azure storage account. This means you still pay the storage charges for the OS disk and any data disks.

Regards,
    Sumanth BM

Kindly click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. And Vote as Helpful.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 7:39 PM