Splash Screen Image Transparency

Question

• How can I display the attached image as a Win Store App splash screen image with only the globe visible?  I'm using the old MS Paint bitmap editing then saving off as .png.  No matter what color I try behind the globe it shows up when the app fires up.

What's the quick and dirty?  Should I be looking at using Blend?

torpedo99

Sunday, March 31, 2013 4:55 PM

Answers

• You want the background to actually be transparent, but I don't know how you do that in Paint. Select and delete, maybe? As a work around, you could make the background the same color as the background that's set in the app package manifest.

Rebecca M. Riordan

• Marked as answer by Torpedo99 Wednesday, April 03, 2013 2:09 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Torpedo99 Saturday, April 06, 2013 10:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Torpedo99 Saturday, April 06, 2013 3:27 PM
    Monday, April 01, 2013 12:08 AM
  • oh, um...I use Photoshop, which is overkill. Gimp, maybe? I think that's free. How many images do you need done?

Rebecca M. Riordan

Saturday, April 06, 2013 10:54 AM
  • The Visual Studio bitmap editor can handle transparency as well.

You definitely want to make the background actually transparent, not just match the colour used as the background. If you set the background colour instead of using transparency then your app will work poorly in high contrast mode. For a complex splash screen with multiple colours you should look into providing additional simplified monochrome images. See  How to name resources using qualifiers

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Torpedo99 Tuesday, April 09, 2013 2:37 AM
    Monday, April 08, 2013 10:30 PM
    Owner

All replies

• You want the background to actually be transparent, but I don't know how you do that in Paint. Select and delete, maybe? As a work around, you could make the background the same color as the background that's set in the app package manifest.

Rebecca M. Riordan

• Marked as answer by Torpedo99 Wednesday, April 03, 2013 2:09 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Torpedo99 Saturday, April 06, 2013 10:53 AM
    Monday, April 01, 2013 12:08 AM
  • Thanks,

any suggestions for graphics software that can do a transparent background?

torpedo99

Saturday, April 06, 2013 10:52 AM
  • oh, um...I use Photoshop, which is overkill. Gimp, maybe? I think that's free. How many images do you need done?

Rebecca M. Riordan

Saturday, April 06, 2013 10:54 AM
  • yes, that's great, thanks very much!

torpedo99

Saturday, April 06, 2013 3:29 PM
  • good to know you found your answer, photoshop can do nearly everything gimp can, but ms paint won't be able to achieve background transparency you need to go in photoshop and delete the background image by creating a copy of the main image, the original image is uneditable in Photoshop

ones that is done save in png or gif format.

i love windows phone

Monday, April 08, 2013 12:32 PM
  • The Visual Studio bitmap editor can handle transparency as well.

You definitely want to make the background actually transparent, not just match the colour used as the background. If you set the background colour instead of using transparency then your app will work poorly in high contrast mode. For a complex splash screen with multiple colours you should look into providing additional simplified monochrome images. See  How to name resources using qualifiers

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Torpedo99 Tuesday, April 09, 2013 2:37 AM
    Monday, April 08, 2013 10:30 PM
    Owner
  • I cannot find a bitmap editor in Visual Studio 2012 Express edition. Is it only available in paid-for versions?

Also the 'Quickstart: Adding a splash screen' article in MSDN says you can change the splash screen image by using the browser button in the manifest editor. I could not find a browse button in VS 2012 and had to manually change the SplashScreen.png file in Project Assets then clean and rebuild the project. This didn't seem like the correct way to do it - am I missing something?

Sunday, April 28, 2013 6:27 PM
  • I don't think there is one. If you double-click the image in the Solutions Explorer, it opens in Paint. (And I expect you knew that...)

I think the browse button(s) they're talking about are the little ellipsis buttons below the thumbnails. Those do open a filepicker.

Rebecca M. Riordan

• Proposed as answer by Bill33C Monday, April 29, 2013 7:07 AM
    Sunday, April 28, 2013 6:34 PM
  • Paint.net is a very good tool.

Can handle transparency, is free and has other good effects, which are very useful for simple and fast image editing.

Windows, SharePoint, jQuery, knockout.js, etc. - All known technologies, but please mark posts as answered where appropriate ;)

Monday, April 29, 2013 9:03 AM