Intermittent "Unable to start debugging." error when trying to debug a Windows Mobile 6.0 application from Visual Studio 2008. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small Windows Mobile 6.0, Windows Forms application that is using a SQL Server Compact Edition 3.5 SP1 database for storage. I am developing the application with Visual Studio 2008 SP1 (9.0.30729.1) on Windows XP Professional SP3. I have been debugging the application by setting the project property 'Target Device' as Windows Mobile 6 Professional Device.

The majority of the time this works as I would expect. I start my project in debug mode and the application deploys and my breakpoints are hit. Every now and then though, I get the following error. Note that the deployment succeeds before the error is displayed.

"Unable to start debugging."

It is as if the system gets into a certain state in which debugging does not work. It can stay that way for a few days before it switches back and debugging starts working again.

One thing that seems to have helped is to start the application on the device without or from Visual Studio without debugging.

Is anyone able to provide some insight here? Many thanks,

Scott

MCSD.Net
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 1:47 PM

All replies

• scott,

did you managed to fix this? If so, I would love to know how, as I cannot get my debugger to work at all...

Regards

Liz

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:28 AM