none
Kinect vertical stand issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem about Kinect placement. When I rotate the Kinect from horizontal stand to vertical. It cannot tracking the skeleton. Does it have a limitation on vertical placement? Or if there is a technical method can fix this problem?

Saturday, May 26, 2012 7:15 AM

Answers

• It might be the algorithm partly but kinect doesnt have a way to change to vertical placement so thats why i said hardware limitation. Also, the data sent from kinect is probably not good for vertical placement. You could place horizontally on ceiling though which I've heard some people say they do on the kinect forums or were trying it. Although the algorithm and device both work best horizontally and data might get messed up in vertical. I think you can ask for vertical mode though to the kinect team because i just started a 2.0 thread and that will limit the problem to hardware in future versions (mostly it only sends back correct data if your horizontal with the kinect).

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

• Edited by The Thinker Tuesday, May 29, 2012 12:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Hill Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:10 AM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 12:13 PM

All replies

• It's built in the Device because the depth sensor could not track the skeletons

Thanks,
    MOHAMED A. SAKR | Software Development Lead Engineer | EgyptNetwork
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members. Also try to Vote as Helpful

• Proposed as answer by The Thinker Sunday, May 27, 2012 7:41 PM
    Sunday, May 27, 2012 11:53 AM
  • You cannot track the skeleton vertical this is a limitation of the device but please post in my v2 sdk thread or start a thread for this feature request if you wish it in the hardware.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Sunday, May 27, 2012 7:42 PM
  • What exactly makes you think tracking is done in hardware!?

I'd rather say the algorithm was never trained with such "absurd" orientations of the Kinect, hence pixels are not correctly classified as hand, arm, ... pixels, and thus there is no skeleton.

Monday, May 28, 2012 8:04 PM
  • Hi,

Do you have a ready-made program can help me solve the vertical placement problem?

Regards,

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 3:17 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, I used to think that. I am very interested in your point. I am a developer, and now get stuck by this issue. How do you make a algorithm that can help to track out a person by Kinect vertical placement?

Regards,

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 3:29 AM
  • YOu can try out Skeltrack, maybe it supports it?

EDIT: I guess with Skeltrack it should definitely work, because even if the algorithm expects skeletons to be "upright", you can always first rotate the depth image (counter-clockwise in your case) before having the skeleton tracked.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 6:23 AM
  • It might be the algorithm partly but kinect doesnt have a way to change to vertical placement so thats why i said hardware limitation. Also, the data sent from kinect is probably not good for vertical placement. You could place horizontally on ceiling though which I've heard some people say they do on the kinect forums or were trying it. Although the algorithm and device both work best horizontally and data might get messed up in vertical. I think you can ask for vertical mode though to the kinect team because i just started a 2.0 thread and that will limit the problem to hardware in future versions (mostly it only sends back correct data if your horizontal with the kinect).

• Edited by The Thinker Tuesday, May 29, 2012 12:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Hill Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:10 AM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 12:13 PM