none
Device Driver Install Not Successful - XBox Nui Audio (Won't work with extension cable) RRS feed

• Question

• Upon plugging in the Kinect to my computer initially, I received an error that the device driver install was not sucessful for XBox NUI Audio (Device Unplugged?). Everything else appeared fine. Any ideas on this problem or what it will prevent audio wise?  Thanks

http://screencast.com/t/lKVVTqmb

• Edited by thnk2wn Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:03 PM clarifying problem in title
    Friday, June 17, 2011 10:32 PM

Answers

• The device unplugged report you saw is benign, actually, and shouldn't cause errors for you. It should be a one-time thing. Try plugging kinect back in using extension cable and things should work as normal, without you seeing this warning again.

A little background (from drivers team):

The audio interface initially enumerates as Bulk USB, immediately after installation of drivers.  A Windows service then watches for this attach, and proceeds to send a new firmware binary to the audio subsystem of the Kinect sensor (stored in RAM).  After the firmware is loaded, that interface performs a reset and re-enumerates as a UAC device.

So the reason for that ‘X’ has to do with the initial driver install process and the fact that we’re doing a brain transplant on the Kinect firmware audio driver (in the Kinect sensor).  After this has happened once the user won’t see the ‘X’ again (the INFs are now installed), even though the service does see every Kinect device attach and reloads the firmware each time.

Hope this helps explain things a bit more,
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 1:46 AM

All replies

• I found the problem. I was using this extension cable: http://www.pdp.com/p-926-cable-extension-for-kinect.aspx that I found from http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox360/Accessories/ThirdPartyAccessories. That appeared to be the problem. Once I bypassed that it installed and worked fine. 

Bit of a shame though as it is a tight reach without the extension cable.

• Marked as answer by thnk2wn Friday, June 17, 2011 10:50 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by thnk2wn Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:04 PM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 10:50 PM
  • The device unplugged report you saw is benign, actually, and shouldn't cause errors for you. It should be a one-time thing. Try plugging kinect back in using extension cable and things should work as normal, without you seeing this warning again.

A little background (from drivers team):

The audio interface initially enumerates as Bulk USB, immediately after installation of drivers.  A Windows service then watches for this attach, and proceeds to send a new firmware binary to the audio subsystem of the Kinect sensor (stored in RAM).  After the firmware is loaded, that interface performs a reset and re-enumerates as a UAC device.

So the reason for that ‘X’ has to do with the initial driver install process and the fact that we’re doing a brain transplant on the Kinect firmware audio driver (in the Kinect sensor).  After this has happened once the user won’t see the ‘X’ again (the INFs are now installed), even though the service does see every Kinect device attach and reloads the firmware each time.

Hope this helps explain things a bit more,
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 1:46 AM
  • Actually I had already tried the extension cable again after successfully connecting directly. It will not work with the extension cable. On the Skeletal Viewer sample for example I'll get a NuiInitialize failed messagebox, falling shapes it'll be "plug in the kinect" etc.
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:03 PM