none
Word Bind to Content Control RRS feed

• Question

• In Word 2013, I want to create an app where when a user clicks a content control the task pane will display a particular webpage. 

I have found a reference stating that this is possible, but no concrete direction on implementation.  Also, I am not sure how to trigger the task pane to display the webpage.

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, February 3, 2013 1:06 AM

Answers

• Hi, Happy Town

Can you explain your scenario a bit more? How is the document created in the first place? Is the app user the same person who is creating the content controls?

Depending on the specifics of your scenario, it might make sense to create the content controls and bind to them in your own copy of the document with the app, then upload that document to your website and make it available for download by users (sort of like a template with an app in it). You can even include a link to that document from within the app itself to make it easy for users who only have the app and don't have the document yet.

Thanks for the question!

-Michael

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:08 PM

All replies

• UPDATE: read the question wrong.

I thought you ment the communication between content app and taskpane app.

Just from the top of my head i can think of two possible directions this can be done:

1. (prefered solution) when user clicks something in content app, you can create a CustomXmlPart. In Taskpane app bind to nodeInsterted event and when event fires show the webpage (in an iframe of your taskpane app) and remove the part from document
    2. run a background web service, where you have a stack. On click on content app push a webpage to the stack and in taskpane app repidetly call web service and try to pull the webpage address and set it as url of the iframe in your app

Anze Javornik

• Edited by Anze Javornik Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:30 PM Misunderstandment in question
    Sunday, February 3, 2013 9:54 AM
  • Hi, Happy Town

Can you explain your scenario a bit more? How is the document created in the first place? Is the app user the same person who is creating the content controls?

Depending on the specifics of your scenario, it might make sense to create the content controls and bind to them in your own copy of the document with the app, then upload that document to your website and make it available for download by users (sort of like a template with an app in it). You can even include a link to that document from within the app itself to make it easy for users who only have the app and don't have the document yet.

Thanks for the question!

-Michael

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:08 PM