Sharing Metro apps outside of the appstore

Question

• I would like to be able to give another user a copy of my Metro app for testing without
    giving him the source code to recompile.  To do this, I would like to generate a .appx
    file on my machine and then install it on another Windows 8 machine with a developers
    license and run it.  Here are the steps I have followed:

1) I generated the packages with Store->Create App Packages... in Visual Studio Express

2) I then copied the AppPackages directory to another machine

3) On the other machine I opened a powershell navigated into the _Test directory and tried
       to execute ".\Add-AppDevPackage.ps1"  This failed with the message:

"...cannot be loaded because running scripts is disabled on this system. ..."

4) I then tried "set-executionPolicy unrestricted".  This command failed with
       "Access to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE... is denied."

5) Finally I tried "add-appxpackage .. .appx"

Here I got "Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x800b0109, A certificate chain processed,.."

My questions are

1) How do I create the .appx packages?  Do I need to create a special certificate before compiling the app?

2) How do I deploy the package on another machine?
    ~                                                   

- Ken

Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:50 AM

Answers

• See Sharing an app package locally for details on creating and deploying the appx package.

It sounds like your process broke down in steps 3 and 4. If you don't have permission to run scripts then you can't run the install script. You will need to run PowerShell elevated in order to enable this.

--Rob

Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:15 AM
    Owner