none
Odd Datasheet navigation behavior RRS feed

• Question

• I have a datasheet subform that we use for order maintenance.

On some laptops, when I change some data and then either arrow down or click the line below, my cursor jumps to the first cell of the datasheet.  However, I can't reproduce this behavior on other laptops.

Anyone have an explanation.

Thanks for your help!!

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 11:28 PM

Answers

• I removed a statement that modified the record with userid.

This seems to have resolved the problem.

Thanks - everyone!

Thanks for your help!!

• Marked as answer by plynton Monday, June 26, 2017 1:25 PM
    Monday, June 26, 2017 1:24 PM

All replies

• Hi plynton,

when you try to add/ change record to datasheet in sub form, are you tying to refresh or re query the data?

or is there any event/ macro get executed?

if yes ,then that can cause the cursor to jump to the first cell.

so you can try to check on that laptops and try to confirm this.

if possible for you then you can try to post your sample database with dummy data.

we will try to test it on our side and try to reproduce the issue.

other thing you had mentioned that on some machine you are able to reproduce the issue and on some machine you are not able to reproduce the issue.

can you tell us what is the difference between these machines? did you try to make a test with the same database?

I suggest you to copy the database to that machine and then try to make a test.

so if someone had made any changes in that database then you can come to know about it.

let us know about your testing results. so that we can try to provide you further suggestions.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 6:37 AM
  • Thank you Deepak.

I'm ready to share the DB with you (I don't see any 'Requery' s).  How do I get the files to you?

Thanks for your help!!

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 2:01 PM
  • Hi plynton,

you can try to upload the file on any free file sharing website.

then you can paste the link here.

we will try to visit the link to get the file.

then we will try to test it.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 8:06 AM
  • Here you go - thank you:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArWu3u4yb1-LetY8DBTvaKnDRyI

Thanks for your help!!

Thursday, June 15, 2017 9:52 AM
  • 2 files... one front end, one data - may have to change the links.

1. Start by picking a store then a date.  
    2. Change the Qty in first line then arrow down - will work fine.
    3. Do the same thing in line 2 and it jumps to the first cell.

Thank you!

Thanks for your help!!

Thursday, June 15, 2017 10:09 AM
  • Hi plynton,

I try to make a test on my side.

but whenever I try to make changes in data.

I got msg that Recordset is not updatable.

and I am not able to change the data.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Monday, June 19, 2017 8:04 AM
  • Hi Deepak - did you change the links to the tables?

Thanks for your help!!

Monday, June 19, 2017 5:19 PM
  • Sorry - you should only be trying to change the quantity field.

Thanks!

Thanks for your help!!

Monday, June 19, 2017 5:53 PM
  • Hi plynton,

I just try to update the quantity.

but it gives me same message.

you can see in video below.

see the bottom of the video to see that message.

please try to check your database and try to post it again if you make any changes to work.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 7:43 AM
  • I just tried again - the same version that I posted, and I'm not seeing the error.  Let me add two more pieces of information.

• When I do the same thing on the subform directly, the cursor does not jump.
    • After changing the qty, I recalculate the 'extended cost' value, but don't requery. 

Thanks for your help!!

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 11:00 AM
  • Hi plynton,

can you tell me which version of Access you are using?

I am testing with Access 2016 in which recordset is not updatable.

you had mentioned that,"After changing the qty, I recalculate the 'extended cost' value, but don't requery." 

but I find that you had placed many after_update events on many controls which fires select  query.

so try to check that whether in such situation that get executed and change the position of cursor.

because you had mentioned that it happens some times. so maybe some values of some controls get changed and event get fired.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 5:06 AM
  • I removed a statement that modified the record with userid.

This seems to have resolved the problem.

Thanks - everyone!

Thanks for your help!!

• Marked as answer by plynton Monday, June 26, 2017 1:25 PM
    Monday, June 26, 2017 1:24 PM