none
Renaming Projects in VB RRS feed

• Question

• I had created a project with a certain name. How can I rename that project? Also, whatever the process is, please specify if I can follow the process when the project is open or is it mandatory to close the project and follow the process?

Sougata Ghosh

Thursday, April 26, 2018 7:10 AM

Answers

• If the Visual Studio solution contains only the one project.

• Close the solution
    • Using Windows Explorer, rename the folder.
    • Open the solution as it's a new solution as the one in the recent list is incorrect because of the folder being renamed.
    • Select the project in solution explorer, save as in figure 1
    • Double click on "My Project" for the project in solution explorer.
    • Make the changes as per figure 2 which is optional but suggest matching the name space with the project name.
    • See figure 3 for last renaming which I would suggest doing.

figure 1

figure 2

figure 3

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Marked as answer by sougata12 Thursday, April 26, 2018 9:23 AM
    Thursday, April 26, 2018 9:21 AM

All replies

• Right-click the project in Visual Studio and select Rename.
    Thursday, April 26, 2018 7:45 AM
  • yes but that is just renaming the main folder. When you create a project, we choose a name and multiple files get created with that name inside the project folder (for example inside the DEBUG folder etc.) which also bears the same name. In short, the name appears in quite a few places. Is there a way to directly change all the names at one shot...or do I have to do it individually?

Sougata Ghosh

• Edited by sougata12 Thursday, April 26, 2018 8:01 AM
    Thursday, April 26, 2018 7:57 AM
  • yes but that is just renaming the main folder. When you create a project, we choose a name and multiple files get created with that name inside the project folder (for example inside the DEBUG folder etc.) which also bears the same name. In short, the name appears in quite a few places. Is there a way to directly change all the names at one shot...or do I have to do it individually?

Sougata Ghosh

Where is a name. In your case you as: "How can I rename that project?"

And now you tell that you mean with that even "How can I rename everything in that project".

Therefore describe all variables which you want to rename, because this can make your program impossible to use and be not reconstruct-able anymore if it goes wrong. 

Success
    Cor

Thursday, April 26, 2018 8:13 AM
  • Yeah...you are right...but then I feel I have already done that in the reply to which you have replied....but incase its still not fully clear I have rephrased the question:

When you create a project and then run it, multiple files appear with the name that was chosen to create the project. Is there a way to change the name of the project and all other files (like in the DEBUG folder) that were created with the same name? 

Sougata Ghosh

• Edited by sougata12 Thursday, April 26, 2018 9:03 AM
    Thursday, April 26, 2018 9:02 AM
  • If the Visual Studio solution contains only the one project.

• Close the solution
    • Using Windows Explorer, rename the folder.
    • Open the solution as it's a new solution as the one in the recent list is incorrect because of the folder being renamed.
    • Select the project in solution explorer, save as in figure 1
    • Double click on "My Project" for the project in solution explorer.
    • Make the changes as per figure 2 which is optional but suggest matching the name space with the project name.
    • See figure 3 for last renaming which I would suggest doing.

figure 1

figure 2

figure 3

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Marked as answer by sougata12 Thursday, April 26, 2018 9:23 AM
    Thursday, April 26, 2018 9:21 AM
  • Thank you

Sougata Ghosh

Thursday, April 26, 2018 9:23 AM
  • After making a copy of the project folder you can remove the Obj and the Bin folder, that will be recreated the next time. 

The Name of the project can be changed with file explorer (.proj) and I use that consequently for that kind of situations. The same is with the name of the folders it is in. 

And open the project with right clicking on the .Proj file.

Success
    Cor

Thursday, April 26, 2018 9:44 AM
  • Hi

It wouldn't be a difficult task for MS to add a 'Rename Project' option somewhere to do all the necessary renaming.

I have a HD full of WindowsAppXXX inside  renamed folders  -  I always accept the default project names and then, if I feel the work is worth keeping, I rename the folder.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Thursday, April 26, 2018 10:12 AM
  • Hi

It wouldn't be a difficult task for MS to add a 'Rename Project' option somewhere to do all the necessary renaming.

I have a HD full of WindowsAppXXX inside  renamed folders  -  I always accept the default project names and then, if I feel the work is worth keeping, I rename the folder.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Actually it's more work then one might think especially when not considering how other languages such as C# would be affected. ReShaper does offer an option to fix namespaces that are inconsistent with namespace rules but that is not for renaming purposes.

VB Forums - moderator

Thursday, April 26, 2018 12:00 PM
  • Hello,

It may look a primitive way, but I used it many times, it's easy and quick.

Let's say the old project name is OLD_PROJ.

You want to rename it to: NEW_PROJ.

1. Create a new project: NEW_PROJ. and leave the project open.

2. In Explorer Open folder of OLD_PROJ, so you see files like: Form1.vb Form2.Vb etc. 

3. From OLD_PROJ folder drag form files like Form1.vb  or Form2.Vb into 

NEW_PROJ, under Solution Explorer, just on the new project name (NEW_PROJ)

4. Agree overwrite.

5. Save NEW_PROJ.

6. Delete folder OLD_PROJ

Very Simple. Much success.

Head_One.

All things are difficult before they are easy. (unknown)

Thursday, April 26, 2018 3:44 PM
  • Hello,

It may look a primitive way, but I used it many times, it's easy and quick.

Let's say the old project name is OLD_PROJ.

You want to rename it to: NEW_PROJ.

1. Create a new project: NEW_PROJ. and leave the project open.

2. In Explorer Open folder of OLD_PROJ, so you see files like: Form1.vb Form2.Vb etc. 

3. From OLD_PROJ folder drag form files like Form1.vb  or Form2.Vb into 

NEW_PROJ, under Solution Explorer, just on the new project name (NEW_PROJ)

4. Agree overwrite.

5. Save NEW_PROJ.

6. Delete folder OLD_PROJ

Very Simple. Much success.

Head_One.

All things are difficult before they are easy. (unknown)

A solution was accepted over six hours ago. Farther more, I would never suggest drag-n-drop operations as they are prone to failure.

VB Forums - moderator

Thursday, April 26, 2018 3:47 PM