BizTalk 2013 R2 Large DB Log File RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have this alert on my client staging server :

Total DB Space Used  for DTA DB "BizTalkDTADb" on Biztalk Server

1024619.49 (Large size on DTA db can impact also MsgBox Db performance, check Tables size and if 'DTA Purge and Archive' job is running) 

DTA DB DATA File size : 2314 MB

DTA DB LOGFile size : 1022306 MB

my DTA purge JOB is configured to only purge without archive, but even after the purge/shrink LOG file, the size not decrease. Have you an idea?

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, December 7, 2017 10:59 AM

Answers

• Biztalk Backup job is not enabled, the database administrator prefers to do an alternative automated Backup
    Please do not do this, BizTalk databases should be backed up using the out of the box job provided by the BizTalk product, Once the Back Up BizTalk server job runs, your issue with the log will be automatically sorted out. Because BizTalk job does not just takes the BackUp but perfoms other function of backing up logs and clearing Back Up History.

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Thursday, December 7, 2017 12:22 PM
  • Biztalk Backup job is not enabled, the database administrator prefers to do an alternative automated Backup

So...this is not supported and will not work.  You must use the BackupBizTalkServer job.

Regarding DBA's, the BizTalk Databases and SQL Server are part of the BizTalk product and must be managed by the BizTalk Administrators.  I'm going to assume you've never tried to recover your BizTalk Group since there is a distinct possibility that the backups they have been taking are not useful.

Additionally, you must stop any non-BizTalk maintenance jobs running against the BizTalk databases.  They are not supported and likely to cause problems.

So, your solution is to stop the custom, unsupported, backup process, then properly configure ALL the BizTalk Agent Jobs, including BackupBizTalk Server.

I fully expect the DBA to object but keep in mind, they caused this problem by not properly backing up BizTalk Server.

• Marked as answer by Hichamveoo Thursday, December 7, 2017 2:34 PM
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 1:25 PM

All replies

• Purging will take care of the data files, but you need to backup the database to shrink the logs.

Is the Backup BizTalk Server Job running without error?

Thursday, December 7, 2017 11:25 AM
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 11:35 AM
    Please do not do this, BizTalk databases should be backed up using the out of the box job provided by the BizTalk product, Once the Back Up BizTalk server job runs, your issue with the log will be automatically sorted out. Because BizTalk job does not just takes the BackUp but perfoms other function of backing up logs and clearing Back Up History.

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Thursday, December 7, 2017 12:22 PM
  • Its not advisable to have alrternate backup.U can do the same thing in Biztalk using DTA Purge and Archive Job on DTA db

Thursday, December 7, 2017 12:27 PM

So...this is not supported and will not work.  You must use the BackupBizTalkServer job.

Regarding DBA's, the BizTalk Databases and SQL Server are part of the BizTalk product and must be managed by the BizTalk Administrators.  I'm going to assume you've never tried to recover your BizTalk Group since there is a distinct possibility that the backups they have been taking are not useful.

Additionally, you must stop any non-BizTalk maintenance jobs running against the BizTalk databases.  They are not supported and likely to cause problems.

So, your solution is to stop the custom, unsupported, backup process, then properly configure ALL the BizTalk Agent Jobs, including BackupBizTalk Server.

I fully expect the DBA to object but keep in mind, they caused this problem by not properly backing up BizTalk Server.

• Marked as answer by Hichamveoo Thursday, December 7, 2017 2:34 PM
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 1:25 PM