ClickOnce Replicated Servers, its possible ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, we have a wide spread wan where we are trying to implement smart client apps, for requirement of our it people (im developer) they are afraid of big updates from central server, so ask if we can implement a distributed clickonce servers,  we have regional servers that are "more close" to clients and the idea is each client updates from the regional server, anyway this regional servers has to update somehwo from the central server.

There is any way to implement this, in a "easy" way using clickonce ?

Also, this assuming "static clients", we also have travel people with notebooks, this people hast to update from they more close regional server, i think this could have a different problem involved but i also need to solve it.

Any comments or guidance ?

Thanks!

E. Ferreyra

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 7:42 PM

Answers

• The deployment manifest must have the server to which it is deployed defined. And the user will get updates from whichever server he installed it from.

Now, if the servers look like the same server, you can do this. Let me explain. We are using a Content Delivery Network, and we upload our deployment once, and they distribute it across the country. So when the user runs the application, it picks the location closest to him, because they all look like the same url even though it is in different locations.

I don't understand enough about networking to tell you how to do this, but if you had a url that could point to multiple locaitons, then I would think that would work.

Does that help at all?

RobinS.

GoldMail.com

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 9:16 PM

All replies

• The deployment manifest must have the server to which it is deployed defined. And the user will get updates from whichever server he installed it from.

Now, if the servers look like the same server, you can do this. Let me explain. We are using a Content Delivery Network, and we upload our deployment once, and they distribute it across the country. So when the user runs the application, it picks the location closest to him, because they all look like the same url even though it is in different locations.

I don't understand enough about networking to tell you how to do this, but if you had a url that could point to multiple locaitons, then I would think that would work.

Does that help at all?

RobinS.

GoldMail.com

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 9:16 PM
  • Thanks it helps, in the sense i understand its possible, still i need more technical detail to go talk out it-connectivity people...

Im googling about Content Delivery Network but cant find providers for Argentina (Lat. Am.) and still dont understan how is the service.

The fact that a client pc resolves same name to local servers is also provided by the CDN ?

Thanks for your help!!

Thursday, June 5, 2008 11:57 AM
  • If you are using a Content Delivery Network, they resolve the url to whichever of their servers is closest.

I don't know how you would do that yourselves, having the local servers behave as a content delivery network and show the same urls even though they are on different servers. I'm not a network guy.

Now know everything I know about it.  We use Limelight, which I think is the same CDN used by eBay. I'd be surprised if they didn't handle Argentina.

RobinS.

GoldMail.com

Thursday, June 5, 2008 4:44 PM
  • i use this method as you say , but i found it donn't work. if you install client from one server,when the next time you skip to another server to install it , it will install Again (intall but not start directly), and in the process of installing ,i get he error:Unable to install this application because an application with the same identity is already installed. To install this application, either modify the manifest version for this application or uninstall the preexisting application.

if there is anther method? please infom me .thanks 

Sunday, June 23, 2013 4:13 AM