The application requested an operation that depends on an SDK component that is missing or mismatched

Question

• Our app is written in XAML+DirectX SurfaceImageSource and recently we test it on Windows 8.1 Preview. We find that nothing is rendered inside the SurfaceImageSource surface, which is filled with the color specified in ClearRenderTargetView(). To trace the cause of the issue, we check the Windows 8 app sample "XAML SurfaceImageSource DirectX inteop sample", and find it no longer works too. In debugging the sample, an exception is thrown with the error message:

"The application requested an operation that depends on an SDK component that is missing or mismatched"

There seems to be some compatibility issues between the Visual Studio SDK and the OS. The software of the test PC is Windows 8.1, Visual Studio 2012 Express RTM, Windows 8 app samples. So I have three questions:

1. What does the error message mean? How to solve the issue?

2. Does Visual Studio 2012 work in Windows 8.1, or is VS2012 SDK compitable with Windows 8.1?

3. Is there any change in SurfaceImageSource between Windows 8 and 8.1?

Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Leonard,

Welcome to MSDN forum!

I think if you post this issue on Building Windows Store app with c++(Windows 8.1), you will get more professional suggestion.

Best Regards!

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 2:18 AM

All replies

• Might be worth trying it with VS 2013.

I noticed with my own program that had problems I was getting different error messages between 2013 and 2012.

So perhaps some changes have taken place.

n.Wright

Sunday, September 1, 2013 12:38 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. Did you mean VS 2012 is incompatible with Windows 8.1?
    Sunday, September 1, 2013 3:17 PM
  • No it works ok just a little differently.

n.Wright

Sunday, September 1, 2013 4:56 PM
  • Would someone kindly give some hints to my questions?
    Monday, September 2, 2013 2:05 PM
  • Hi Leonard,

Welcome to MSDN forum!

I think if you post this issue on Building Windows Store app with c++(Windows 8.1), you will get more professional suggestion.

Best Regards!

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 2:18 AM