none
VSIX installer issue in Visual Studio 2017

Question

• Hi All,

I am using VSIX installer for installing my custom VSIX into Visual Studio 2017. I have checked in many machines and my Visual Studio extension was enabled in all the machines. But, one of my customer reported that my extension was disabled by default in his machine. I have checked this reported issue with same machine configuration as his machine and the issue was not reproduced to me.

Code Snippet of VSIX Manifest to support Visual Studio 2017:

<Installation>
        <InstallationTarget Id="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Community" Version="[15.0]" />
        <InstallationTarget Version="[15.0]" Id="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Pro" />
        <InstallationTarget Version="[15.0]" Id="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Enterprise" />
      </Installation>
    <Prerequisites>
        <Prerequisite Id="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.CoreEditor" Version="[15.0,16.0)" DisplayName="Visual Studio core editor" />
      </Prerequisites>

Can anyone suggest me what could be the reason for this and how to resolve this?

Regards,
    Cheran
    • Moved by Sabah ShariqMVP Friday, January 20, 2017 1:07 PM Not related to C#
    Friday, January 20, 2017 12:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Cheranarasu,

This is Visual C# forum. As your issue is related to Visual Studio I am moving your thread to Visual Studio General forum for getting quick response.

Your understanding and cooperation will be grateful.

Thanks,
    Sabah Shariq

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Friday, January 20, 2017 1:07 PM
  • Hi,

Enabled extensions that become disabled on next startup are caused because of failed installations or updates. The symptom is that in the extensions folder:

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_<id>\Extensions

there are two folders (with random names) that contain different builds of the same extension.

The workaround is:

- Uninstall the extension through the Extension Manager

- Close VS

- Check that no folders in that folder contain the extension. If so, delete.

- Reinstall the extension

My portal and blog about VSX: http://www.visualstudioextensibility.com
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/VSExtensibility
    MZ-Tools productivity extension for Visual Studio: https://www.mztools.com

Friday, January 20, 2017 2:08 PM
  • Hi friend,

If a reply has resolved your doubts or issue, please help to mark it as answer which would be helpful to others who have the same issue as yours. Thanks for your understandings and cooperation:)

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 23, 2017 7:11 AM