Write conflict on SQL database from Access 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a linked SQL 2012 table in an Access 2010 database using ODBC. The table has a valid unique primary key.  Apparently the only way I can update any field in the table is by using an update query.  I get write conflicts when I try to edit any field in any record by opening the table in Access directly or by using a form based on the table.  I have repaired and compacted as well as deleted and recreated the table link.  Any ideas?

-Bruce

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:05 PM

Answers

• Bruce

Add a timestamp also called a rowversion) column to the table. And make sure all bit columns have a default value and make sure none of the records still have a null value in bit columns. Access can't handle null bits.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:08 PM
  • Hi Bruce

See the longish Utter Access thread How to Transition to SQL Express about the SQL Server TimeStamp Field.

Don't worry about the subject "SQL Express"... The thread changed to the problem you observed on your SQL Back-End + Access Front-End very quickly from post #6 where I first mentioned the (SQL Server) TimeStamp Field (my handle in UtterAccess is "vtd"). 

I posted plenty of links to other resources in my posts in the above thread and you can follow them for more info. 

Van Dinh

Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:26 AM

All replies

• Bruce

Add a timestamp also called a rowversion) column to the table. And make sure all bit columns have a default value and make sure none of the records still have a null value in bit columns. Access can't handle null bits.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:08 PM
  • Hi Bruce

See the longish Utter Access thread How to Transition to SQL Express about the SQL Server TimeStamp Field.

Don't worry about the subject "SQL Express"... The thread changed to the problem you observed on your SQL Back-End + Access Front-End very quickly from post #6 where I first mentioned the (SQL Server) TimeStamp Field (my handle in UtterAccess is "vtd"). 

I posted plenty of links to other resources in my posts in the above thread and you can follow them for more info. 

Van Dinh

Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:26 AM