Capturing data from a grid in a bulky mode RRS feed

• Question

• User-326746839 posted

I have a table in which I have a serie of questions. Not all question must be shown at once. It will depnend on user's profile which ones are elegible to display

I have a second table in which I store the data belonging to each one of the questions coming from the first table (one answer for each question answered)

I can't have both things in the same entity because the questions can be answred many different times by many different people

To make it simple to follow let's assume a very reduced data model like this:

I have an entyity "Questions" with 2 main columns : cod_questionID and question (plus many other additional columns that is not worth to mention here)

I have a second entity "QuestionAnswers"
    with : cod_QuestionAnswerID, cod_questionID (coming a s FK from Questions) and answer_value 
    (plus other obvious additional fields: date, logingID, timestamp, access_aut, etc) 

So if I have 50 questions (the questions contained in the "Questions" table) that I'd like to show to my user at once so he can capture all 50 answers and save them in bulk mode in the "QuestionAnswers" table

E.g.: (these are the questions)

So I'd like to save all the data at once 

Question Answers
    Lenght 20 cm 
    Date Purchase December 14th, 2022
    Lenguage Rails
    Increase 10.45435
    Ratio 0.56667%
    Income $4,456.77
    Trip Departure
    Tax Income Tax
    Accounting Expenditure
    E$xpenses No data
    Norm ISO9009
    Power Outlet 34.45 Volts
    Motor 45 HP
    Capacity 45.55 cm3
    Movie Trailer
    Calculation Percentage

This can be easily done of course on a one by one answer basis which is absolutelly horrendous for data capturing efficiency

Carlos N. Porras 
    (El Slavador) 

P.S.: PLEASE DON'T SAY THIS IS SOMETHING YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND OR TO PROVIDE SOURCE CODE (If I had any I wouldn't be asking) THIS IS RATHER TRIVIAL THAN COMPLEX .... just need to know how to do the iteration from all the data shown in the gridview</div>

Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:28 PM

All replies

• User-326746839 posted

Ok. Ask me for code (but I don't have any. Mr. Dong, don't be mad but it is that you always ask for code and sometimes that request is not fit at all with the policies that we might have in disclosing information from our bosses.

Why is so hard sometimes just getting to have your posts read by someone else?

Not even Steve Naughton seems to care about this? 

Carlos N. Porras
    (El Salvador) 

Saturday, December 29, 2012 7:47 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

Hi Carlos, I;ve been both very busy and had Christmas to deal with but I am back now :) I will have good old read of your first post and get back shortly probably in the morning.

Sunday, December 30, 2012 11:39 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

Steve,

God bless you .... 

I'll be waiting to hear from you very soon

Carlos N. Porras
    (El Salvador) 

Friday, January 4, 2013 12:30 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hi Steve,

I'm waiting for you my friend ....

Carlos N. Porras
    (El Salvador) 

Monday, January 7, 2013 10:08 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

NAUGHTON ..... WERE ARE YOU ... ?????

Carlos N. Porras
    (El Salvador) 

Monday, January 7, 2013 12:05 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

Hi Carlos, I can't think of a way in ASP.Net DD that would do it, other than maybe having a view that has both tables joined together and then make the view and updatable view using Rick Anderson technique.

Monday, January 7, 2013 12:41 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hi Steve,

Any good wysiwyg program for building views ... I mean, with visual interactivity so you can drag and drop fields to build the view? Is there any of that kind?

Carlos N. Porras
    (El Salvador) 

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 3:29 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

I use SQL Server Management studio, you can get a basic version with SQL Express/Local DB nowadays.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 3:52 PM