Grouping the columns in a Matrix report in Report Builder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a Matrix table in Report Builder and all the data is displaying correctly.

I wish to group and sum the date column by month

ie show total for October 16, November 16 etc

Any help greatly appreciated :)

Regards

Graham

Friday, January 27, 2017 1:49 PM

Answers

• Hi GrahamDing,

From your description, if you just would like to group on month, you can try to add a row group and then group on:

=Month(Fields!YourColumn.value)

Then add a total.

If I misunderstand your requirement, please correct me.

Best Regards,

Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by GrahamDing Thursday, February 2, 2017 2:33 PM
    Monday, January 30, 2017 2:21 PM
  • HI Graham,

you just select the table/matrix and down you can see row group section for that table/matrix.

in rowgroup>add group>parent group.

there you in group by you can write your month column name or you can use 'fx' to custom or calculated field .

If your dataset gives you only date field that's full date and there is no month column then you can type

Sushant

Monday, January 30, 2017 7:16 PM

All replies

• Hi GrahamDing,

From your description, if you just would like to group on month, you can try to add a row group and then group on:

Then add a total.

If I misunderstand your requirement, please correct me.

Best Regards,

Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 30, 2017 2:21 PM
  • HI Graham,

you just select the table/matrix and down you can see row group section for that table/matrix.

in rowgroup>add group>parent group.

there you in group by you can write your month column name or you can use 'fx' to custom or calculated field .

If your dataset gives you only date field that's full date and there is no month column then you can type

Sushant

Monday, January 30, 2017 7:16 PM
  • screen shots are from BIDS but report builder also has these option but may looks bit diff in UI.

Sushant

Monday, January 30, 2017 7:17 PM