none
Unable able to compile C# HelloWorld Program RRS feed

• Question

• I am using VS2015 and trying to run a simple HelloWorld program and continue to get the following error message...

I tried to include image here but was blocked... The error message from the compiler starts as "

Visual Studio cannot start debbuging because the debug target...

I have looked on the website here and found several comments, but don't seem able to find a fix.  When I follow the info that I have found on the websites it does not seem to resolve the problem.

I am certain that I am missing something but thought I would ask the pro's rather than continue to frustrate myself.

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 3:44 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Have you tried the suggestions in the following post, read through each one and see if any help.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20563691/c-sharp-debug-cannot-start-debugging-because-the-debug-target-is-missing

Also does this happen with a new project other than the current project? Have you tried different project types e.g. if this is a console app targeting .NET Core try another project using .NET standard Framework, even try this with a WinForms project.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 4:55 PM
  • I am using VS2015 and trying to run a simple HelloWorld program and continue to get the following error message...

Visual Studio cannot start debbuging because the debug target...

Did you do a Build before trying to Run?

Did you check the Output and Errors List windows for messages?

Many tutorials show the use of the Start button whenever code changes have
    been made. This usually does an automatic Build first (if needed) and then
    tries to run the program. If there were errors in the Build then there won't 
    be any exe to execute (except maybe an older version if prior builds were 
    successful). I think that is bad advice as beginners often fail to check
    the build results.

I always advise that an explicit Build or Rebuild be done first, before trying
    to Start/Run/Debug. Whichever steps you follow, you always need to check the 
    build results for errors.

While you may not be able to post screenshots yet, you can do a copy and paste
    of the Output window after a Build. That info can be posted here so we can
    examine the Build results.

It may also help if you post the code you are trying to build. Also state
    which type of project you selected.

- Wayne

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 5:37 PM