Multitasking switching between aps metro screen windows 8 ?

Question

• Why isn't there an easier way to swict between running aps or recently runned apps in windows 8 metro screen. In the desktop (windows 7) there is alt tab which shows which applications are running and you can easily switch between them. Plus there is the taskbar which makes it so much easier to switch between aps.

Why isnt there something similar in windows 8? You'd think it'd it be a no brainer since they are full screen aps. What if you have 20+ running aps, swiping from the left 20+ times seems tedious. And going back to the start screen defeats the whole point of multitasking.

Thats the only weakness i see in win 8. There should be an easier way to swicth between running aps quickly especially if you have a lot of stuff running in the background

Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:30 PM

Answers

• On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 17:30:39 +0000, Joedumars wrote:

Why isnt there something similar in windows 8?

There is, though since I don't currently have a touch device I can only
    tell you how to do it with a mouse. If you move your mouse to the left edge
    of the screen, you get a list of the currently open apps from which you can
    select the one you want to switch to.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    HOST SYSTEM NOT RESPONDING, PROBABLY DOWN.  DO YOU WANT TO WAIT?  (Y/N)

Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:34 PM

All replies

Paul Adare

Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:34 PM
  • Sweet , I didnt see it in any of the demos. I thought you had to swipe constantly from the left till you got the one you wanted
    • Edited by Joedumars Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:47 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:46 PM
  • The problem as I see it is this. If you have a keyboard and mouse hooked up then you can still use Alt+Tab like before ... sweet. The problem is that if you're using a tablet the only option seems to be swiping in from the laft of the screen to switch to the next app in the stack. That's OK if you only have two or three apps running, but because there is no easy way to "fully exit" an app (except killing it in task manager), then it may be common for people to have 20, 30, 40 apps running. Now the minute you swipe to the next app, you have to swipe all the way back around to get back, or find the next one you want to use. Apple learned this when they introduced the task switcher feature, and I hope that Microsoft figure it out too, because right now it's a problem.
    Steve Ives
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:45 PM

Paul Adare

Nice tip, is there a way to make the thumbnails bigger? Also it might just be my mouse but the thumbnail windows scroll way too quickly (Apple wireless mouse btw with the tiny scroll wheel, I'll try this with my 'proper' Microsoft wheel mouse when I get into work on Monday).
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:00 PM
  • I cant do that know ... even if i move the cursor to the left of the screen the thumbnail doesnt come in any of the application/program so cant multi task with that , help me ...
    Specs: i7 950, 4gb ddr3, 20" monitor(1600x900) ... i had it for the first few days after installing it but dont have it know ... :(

Friday, November 25, 2011 6:44 AM