none
Importing Application Templates to Answer File RRS feed

• Question

• I have downloaded the Application Templates for .net4.0 Framework and Client from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/downloads/windows-embedded-compatible-applications-chooser.aspx.  I am trying to import them into my answer file.  I copied the xmls into the Templates folder of my Distribution Share. 

Then I start ICE and they appear in the Templates section.  However when I right click them and select "Add to Answer File", they appear in the answer file window as what appears to be a different object.  The Framework comes in as Windows Process Activation Service and the Client comes in as Remote Access Service.  Am I insane or did I skip something fundamental?

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:25 PM

All replies

• The template adds the packages needed to install .NET 4.0. You still need the .NET 4.0 installer file to be put into the distribution share, and the installer needs to run either during OS installation or post install.

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:37 PM
  • OK so I have the installer file.  Where in the DS does it go?  Am I not seeing the help file correctly or is this information not there?  I used the information it had on "Create an Answer file using a Template".  Is there a better online procedure I can reference?  This seems very cryptic.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:56 PM
  • OK I used the directions on your website for adding Firefox to an image to get the dotNetFx40_Client_x86_x64.exe added to the Foundation Core.  Thanks a lot for that!

But there is still this issue of the template.  Please correct me if I am wrong but I think I also need to add the Template to the Answer File by either double clicking it in the DS Pane or right clicking it and selecting "Add to Answer File".  In my Distribution Share Pane, this template is named "dotFramework40_FullProfile_SP1_64bit.xml".  When I add it to the Answer file, it does not show up in the Answer Pane as ".NET Framework 4.0" (under Feature Pack->.NET Framework).  What comes over instead is Feature Pack->Browsers->Internet Explorer 8->Internet Explorer 8 Browser.  And new dependencies appear based on IE8.  I am guessing this is not the intended behavior.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:49 PM
  • Did you do a File-> import Template? Once imported, you can double click on it and it will pull in the packages.

FYI - there is a book that covers WES7: http://www.annabooks.com/Book_PGWES7.html

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 11:00 PM
  • I did do the Template Import with the same result.  And in the DS Pane, .NET 4.0 does not appear either.  Only 2.0-3.5 are there.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 11:08 PM
  • .NET 4.0 is not going to appear. The template only pulls in other packages to support the installer. Like the FireFox and the Java article, the applications get added to answer file burried under Windows Embedded Core.

It is a little confusing, but that is how it works. WES8 lets us create actual modules.

-Sean

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 1:51 AM