I just did something careless with LDProcess RRS feed

• Question

• Hello... can't believe I did this...

I was doing some late nite playing around with litdevs extensions, which are totally amazing! AND I did something really careless.

Basically I put Process.Start in an infinite loop that started the CURRENT APP (the source program) and another app and I didn't even flag them off. Pls don't ask why. I was tired and have the flu. lol.

Anyway it did what you'd expect. Opened itself and the other app repeatedly and faster than any human could close it down. I couldn't even stop it with the start button. So I shut the system down with the reset button. I even messed that up!

As a result I broke my installation of SB. I did a couple of reinstalls and checked the process manager. Still no good. I also did a couple of system restores.

SB ide opens but is ghost like and unresponsive. All my GraphicsWindow exe's run (open) outside the ide but have no content (buttons etc) and are unresponsive. They open fine in SB++ and compile back to health. Could be a clue.

I suspect by the way I shut my system down it may have recorded something that executes on startup that prevents SB from working or there might be a process running. I can't find it. So if anyone knows what is causing or can offer a fix tip, let me know.

Please don't waste your time on this. It's a bit of a blessing in disguise. My system is very cluttered and I'm up for a rebuild anyway.

Saturday, April 12, 2014 6:48 AM

Answers

• Since you can run previously compiled exe and use SB++, I assume .Net is OK.  I don't know about the TOSHIBA bulletin board.

1] Can you show the SB code for the case you ran that caused all the problems?

2] Use 'Disk Cleanup' to clean all temp locations (there are several).

3] Perhaps try a system restore point if you have one.

4] Try a clean SB reinstall:

• Uninstall SB
    • Delete installation folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Small Basic) - copy the lib folder somewhere first to keep extensions
    • Reinstall SB
    • Test without extensions - if OK then put extensions lib back.
    • Marked as answer by Jibba j Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:02 AM
    Sunday, April 13, 2014 9:02 PM

All replies

• First off it is unlikely to too bad.  Try the following in order - repost if unsure.

1] Boot PC and log in - don't start anything.

2] Delete everything in %temp% - be sure you know what you are doing here - ask if unsure.  Type %temp% in title bar of windows explorer - then delete everything - these are temp files created by programs.  They are not meant to be any permanent files, just working files while a program is running.  SmallBasic uses them a lot and they can fill up, especially if a program crashes.

3] Try SmallBasic.

If this doesn't work, then we can diagnose further.

Saturday, April 12, 2014 10:21 AM
  • Hi litdev, thanks for your reply.

I typed %temp% into the title bar of windows explorer. It returned a list of everything in

C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\Temp

A total of 26,000 items. (my pc locks up a bit)

Here's a cropped pic of the results:

Does this look like the right files to delete?

Sunday, April 13, 2014 1:41 AM
  • Ok. I haven't deleted much at this point.

I did a search on this and someone mentioned that they had trouble after deleting EVERYTHING. I think they were talking about deleting FOLDERS that are in this directory. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/deleted-files-in-userappdatalocaltemp-downloads/9dca1f8b-9d37-4a46-a0af-e1fce2662718

Atm I thinking of deleting ALL FILES created after a certain date.

Also I noticed these FOLDERS are being created at SYSTEM startup:

divBAA7.tmp or  similar format i.e div####.tmp

These are empty FOLDERS  and they look a bit like SB stuff?

I'm proceeding with caution and hope you don't mind litdev I posted a question on windows forum re the FOLDERS issue. I'm nOOb on this so doing a bit of research.

Any thoughts, maybe on those SB looking folders?

Once again, thanks for your help.

• Edited by Jibba j Sunday, April 13, 2014 10:17 AM
    Sunday, April 13, 2014 7:53 AM
  • You are safe to delete everything in this folder (C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\Temp).

The worst that can happen is that running programs may have problems, so do it from a freshly rebooted PC and restart if you want after deleting.

I 'clean my temp' at least once a week, often without reboots and have done so for years with many different versions of windows.  To repeat - 'you are completely safe deleting these files and folders' - usually there are a few that don't delete - no worries just leave these.

Sunday, April 13, 2014 11:52 AM
  • Litdev, thanks for reassuring me on that. Good to know.

I've deleted everything in the temp folder and the scenario described in 1st post still remains.

Also I observed the same unresponsive and empty window on 1 other program. The TOSHIBA bulletin board. This program has an icon on the task bar. It's not running.

I'll see if I can disable it or something. Any ideas?

Sunday, April 13, 2014 8:16 PM
  • Since you can run previously compiled exe and use SB++, I assume .Net is OK.  I don't know about the TOSHIBA bulletin board.

1] Can you show the SB code for the case you ran that caused all the problems?

2] Use 'Disk Cleanup' to clean all temp locations (there are several).

3] Perhaps try a system restore point if you have one.

4] Try a clean SB reinstall:

• Uninstall SB
    • Delete installation folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Small Basic) - copy the lib folder somewhere first to keep extensions
    • Reinstall SB
    • Test without extensions - if OK then put extensions lib back.
    • Marked as answer by Jibba j Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:02 AM
    Sunday, April 13, 2014 9:02 PM
  • Hi litdev

I can't "run" previously compiled exes properly. Textwindow exes work graphicWindows ones open but are unresponsive and empty. I can load them into ++ and they recomplile back to health.

1. I deleted the ridiculous code, but here's the jist of it:

While "True"

TW.Writeline(LDProcess.Start = "This very program") 

TW.Writeline(LDProcess.Start = "Another program")

Hope that is of some value.

2. Disk cleanup (in control panel, win7) doesn't delete temps AFAIK

3. Tried a couple of restores, (makes me think it's a data file)

4. I'll try the sb reinstall and delete the SB folder. Haven't tried the delete SB folder thing yet and remember that being discussed before.

The system shut down was a bit messy.

NB this is not a big issue for me.

The real experiment in progress (a bit offtopic but I think relevelent if one's into virtual opportunity):

I actually thrive on tech contingencies. A combo of traditional (aboriginal) and "modern" life. Done on $50 per fortnight after rent and bills, excluding food and luxuries. Self funded and we still hunt and gather (in the city). I eat like a king. I can chuck all my hardware in the bin and recoup all data free of charge at a library. Couple that with a hardy solar b/pack for $330 weighing 1.1 kilo I could go walkabout and do internet. I like community work and sustainable opportunities. Civilised wilderness. Imagine free high speed wireless broadband.

Sunday, April 13, 2014 10:05 PM
  • Awesome. Just did a factory restore.

Top chance to do things a bit differently - Crisp and simple.

My system was a total unmaintained garbage tip. Would've been counterproductive to hunt down the cause any further.

Things break, gotta have fixes and fallbacks.

Thanks for your thoughts on this and patience.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:11 AM
  • Ok J.J., after i read that you did'nt solve your problem so far:

You can try something different. It's just an idea but i think its worth a try as it once worked for me (look here ) and at a MaxDown all ways are up. So, why not!?

1.) Look in
    "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\SmallBasic"
    or
    "%LOCALAPPDATA%\SmallBasic"

which contains 2 files:
    SB.exe.application.catalog and SB.exe.settings.catalog

These are ordinary (renamed) .zip files and you can open them in any archiver application.
    (both contain: catalog.xaml, manifest.xaml and [Content_Types].xml)
    Just look if their last modification date corresponds to the date when your SB IDE crashed and maybe changed something on these files.

2.)
    Try compilation for simple HelloWorld programs from CmdLine: This once worked for me when had similar problem with SB Gui.

Better first w/o extensions and remember that all extension Dlls from your ~\Small Basic\lib folder will be copied to the working directory where you compile this HelloWord.sb
    (to avoid this you can either rename your \Small Basic\lib folder temporarily or choose a directory where your other projects and Extension.dll's already are)

So

a.) visit a directory in explorer, create 2 simple files eg.
    HelloWorldGW.sb with:
    GraphicsWindow.Top = 10
    GraphicsWindow.DrawText(10,10,"Hello Rick")

and
    HelloWorldTW.sb with:
    TextWindow.Top = 10
    TextWindow.WriteLine("Hello Rick")

and open CommandPrompt there

OR

b.) open cmd.exe and change to that directory eg.
    cd "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Small Basic Projects"   or whatever.
    and create the 2 files there with
    notepad HelloWorldGW.sb
    and
    notepad HelloWorldTW.sb

fill in the both SB source texts and save them.

c.)
    Then compile them both with:
    "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft\Small Basic\SmallBasicCompiler.exe" HelloWorldGW.sb
    and
    "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft\Small Basic\SmallBasicCompiler.exe" HelloWorldTW.sb

the compiler should say:
    HelloWorldGW.sb: 0 errors.
    and
    HelloWorldTW.sb: 0 errors.

then try to run both exes:
    HelloWorldGW.exe
    and
    HelloWorldTW.exe

Ok, maybe it sounds a little bit crazy, but after that procedure, i could again open the SB IDE and all worked again.

Good luck

Sunday, April 27, 2014 5:51 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Pappa Lapub

Thanks for those tips, great to know.

I've got SB installed and working now following a system restore back to factory settings.

Monday, April 28, 2014 3:11 AM