SPD worlflow not sending mail to user RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I create a workflow by using the SPD,this is very simpel List ,in this i have Title, Description and Start Date.Now i want when we add new Event  A mail should be send on that day only.ex if i add a Event on 4th November 2009 than mail should be send on 4 th november.i set the condition :-if Date equals(ignoring time)Today.but it is not working i already instally Sharepoint sp2 .

Thanks In Advance
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 7:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    I create a workflow by using the SPD,this is very simpel List ,in this i have Title, Description and Start Date.Now i want when we add new Event  A mail should be send on that day only.ex if i add a Event on 4th November 2009 than mail should be send on 4 th november.i set the condition :-if Date equals(ignoring time)Today.but it is not working i already instally Sharepoint sp2 .

Thanks In Advance

Could you clarify this?  You said that you want to send the email on the day the Event is added?  If that's the case, then you don't need to use any conditions. Simply make a workflow that only runs on a new item and sends an email right away with the relevant info.  That's all you have to do - just don't check the box for running on edit.

If you meant to say that you want the email to go out on the DATE of the event and not the date the event was added, then it's a completely different condition where you have to say "Pause until EventDate," then send email.  You didn't say that's what you wanted to do, so I'm assuming my first example is sufficient. I can't think of a reason to have a condition for "If Date equals Today," because it's of course today if you just added the event, right? 

Lastly, the best thing to do to debug your workflow is to add actions for "Log to History List" and put them all throughout your workflow so that you know what steps are running and which aren't.  Whenever you have a conditional statement, always add an Else If statement that logs to history list (no condition and no other actions).  That way, you know if none of your conditions were met.
    SharePoint Architect || My Blog
    • Marked as answer by GuYuming Monday, November 9, 2009 9:55 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 5:14 PM

All replies

• Make Sure SMTP is configured & Send E-Mail when Ownership is assigned option is selected.
    Cheers, Ashwin B.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 12:33 PM
  • Hello,

You could also try using another set of conditions/actions for the workflow.  It sounds like you are using the Condition:  If Start Date equals [Today] then Action:  Send Email

Try Condition:  None  Action:  Pause undtil Start Date then Action 2:  Send email

If you have items that will have a Start Date value of today's date, then we will have to add an else if condition, but I can show you that as well.
    Chris Caravajal MCTS SharePoint Help
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 2:55 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks In Advance

Could you clarify this?  You said that you want to send the email on the day the Event is added?  If that's the case, then you don't need to use any conditions. Simply make a workflow that only runs on a new item and sends an email right away with the relevant info.  That's all you have to do - just don't check the box for running on edit.

If you meant to say that you want the email to go out on the DATE of the event and not the date the event was added, then it's a completely different condition where you have to say "Pause until EventDate," then send email.  You didn't say that's what you wanted to do, so I'm assuming my first example is sufficient. I can't think of a reason to have a condition for "If Date equals Today," because it's of course today if you just added the event, right? 

Lastly, the best thing to do to debug your workflow is to add actions for "Log to History List" and put them all throughout your workflow so that you know what steps are running and which aren't.  Whenever you have a conditional statement, always add an Else If statement that logs to history list (no condition and no other actions).  That way, you know if none of your conditions were met.
    • Marked as answer by GuYuming Monday, November 9, 2009 9:55 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 5:14 PM
  • Make Sure SMTP is configured & Send E-Mail when Ownership is assigned option is selected.
    Cheers, Ashwin B.

Send E-Mail when Ownerships is assigned is only relevant to Task lists.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 5:15 PM