none
Cant delete storage account

Question

• Trying to delete empty storage account (called alphaxstorage) but I keep getting artifacts in use error. There are No containers, No VHD, NO disks in the storage account. There are only metrics tables such as $MetricsCapacityBlob. Pls help

Friday, February 3, 2017 9:50 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Is your storage account containing a leased blob?

Check whether you have deleted the Azure Virtual Machine which you have created who's VMs are in that storage account. If you have deleted the Azure VM, go the DISKs in the Azure VM menu, there would OS / Data disks for the VMs which would be present although you have deleted the VM. Delete the VMs. 

You might receive errors when you try to delete an Azure storage account, container, or virtual hard disk (VHD) in the Azure portal. This article provides troubleshooting guidance to help resolve the problem in an Azure Resource Manager deployment.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/benjguin/2014/03/17/why-cant-i-remove-my-storage-account/

You may try to delete the storage account using the PowerShell cmdlet Remove-AzureStorageAccount and see if that helps, for more details on this please check the link below:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn495212.aspx

Important: As you are deleting data, please be cautious to validate you no longer need what is being deleted. Refer "Deleting a Storage Account" for more details.

For more information; Click here

Regards,
    Sumanth BM

Saturday, February 4, 2017 12:42 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Sumanth

As I mentioned above, the account does not have any VHDs.  I understand that a blob with a open lease can prevent deletion of a storage account but that is not the case here.  

The one thing odd is that, from storage explorer there appears to be a container called $logs which cant be deleted. The container appears empty although i know you can't have and empty container so I suspect there must be some type of hidden blob in the container.  

Also, storage explorer shows several $Metrics* tables which also can't be deleted.   

I tried deleting the account from the portal, Powershell, and resource explorer.  All fail with some form of message that says the storage account has resources that are in use.

Thanks for any help you can provide

DEnnis

Monday, February 6, 2017 10:29 PM
  • check whether you have any diagnostics enable for any VM or anything which link to the storage account, which might generates the logs and save over there. Try to disable the diagnostics(if have) then delete the logs and storage account.

thank you.

Dharmesh Please Mark as Answer, if it satisfy your request.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 7:37 AM
  • There are no longer any VMs in the subscription and there are no links to the storage account in any form.  No diagnostics, logs or anything else that refers to that storage account.  The old $Metrics* tables still exist and a blob container named $logs still exists but I can not delete them due to lack of permissions.  The Metrics table have not had anything written to them since January.  I think if I could delete those tables I'd be able to delete the account
    Friday, March 17, 2017 4:39 PM