none
Active Directory groups and SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• My IT folks are mostly using Distribution Lists but SharePoint can't see those. I've heard that changing an attribute on the DL groups can make them Global Groups which are seen by SharePoint. What would need to be done and what are the ramifications? I want to be able to use those groups from SharePoint but not mess up our AD system. Thanks.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 8:24 PM

All replies

• HI Dave,

By default distribution groups are not visible in the discretionary access control list (DACL) in order to make them visible you need to make them a security group.

If your concern is reducing the manual effort of synchronizing the distributed groups and security groups. I would like to provide a workaround for you.

1.    Enable Microsoft SharePoint Directory Management service in Central Administration > Operations > Incoming E-Mail Settings.

2.    Creates a new SharePoint group.

3.    Create a distribution list to associate with that SharePoint group and assigns an e-mail address to that distribution list.

For further details please refer the following links

Choose which security groups to use (Office SharePoint Server)

Let me know if this helped

Thanks and regards
    Anand Kumar
    • Proposed as answer by Anand_Kumar Friday, March 6, 2009 6:40 PM
    Monday, March 2, 2009 7:59 PM
  •  Yes, the goal is to use an AD distribution list for SharePoint access rights to avoid duplicating effort. The AD lists already exist. So if I follow your instructions and associate a DL with the SharePoint group, then assign an e-mail address to the DL, that will result in synchronization between the two groups?
    Friday, March 6, 2009 8:16 PM