WMI and printers RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

i hope this is the right Forum for my question.

My Task is to migrate ~300 printers from a W2K Server to W2K3 Server. From this Server the printers should be deployed on about five Servers. The problem is that there are network printers and printers from a Print server which were connected via AD. I´m searching for a tool which can work remotely.

First I tried with Microsoft Printer Migrator 3.1. But the printers from the Print servers were not moved.

So I decided to use WMI. The result is the same like it is with PriMig. The printers from Print server were not moved. Another thing is, that I don’t know where the Information I need is stored. I tried W32_Printer Class, Win32_TCPIPPrinterPort Class (which doesn´t exists on W2K) and Win32_PrinterConfiguration class but many properties are empty (for example the CurrentPaperType), so that I don’t get the Information I need.

So maybe someone can tell me in which WMI Class I can find the Information about Ports, the settings of the paper size, the details to server name and the share name.

Maybe I’m overlooking something, so please give me a reference, where I can find Information to solve my problem.

Thanks!

Florian

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 10:08 AM

Answers

•  

Hi fLOSTt,

certainly you'll find better help in the technet forums (more focused on the MS server line / hardware management). Get there by clicking here

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 9:26 PM

All replies

•  

So, i´m a few steps ahead. The information is stored in Reg in the key "HKCU\Printers\Connections". It is formatted like this:

",,Printserver,Queue"

So, I have to read this Keys an replace the "," with "\" an so I´m able to connect to this Printers. as far as the Script is ready, I´ll post it here so that others having the same problem are able to use it.

Friday, February 1, 2008 10:16 AM
  •  

Hi fLOSTt,

certainly you'll find better help in the technet forums (more focused on the MS server line / hardware management). Get there by clicking here

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 9:26 PM