Win8 developer preview doesn't boot

Question

• I'm working with the developer preview for a while on my Dell 6410 (Working great!). When I turned it on today it today I ran into a problem (I think it occured after hibernation): it is stuck on the black Windows Developer Preview with the new points donut rolling.

What can I do?

I tried to delete hiberfil.sys from another OS but with no success. Any idea that doesn't involve re-installing the Dev Preview?

Meir :->

Meir Mendelovich, Sr. Program Manager, Microsoft Forefront - IAG/UAG Product Group
    Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/edgeaccessblog/
    Anything you can do, I can do anywhere!
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 9:14 PM

All replies

• Hello MeirM,

You can try safe mode by pressing and hold Shift + F8 keys at boot to access the Advanced Boot Option menu and then select repair.

If that doesn't work, you may try booting from the Windows Developer Preview disk, instead of choosing installation, select the Repair option.
    You can try the different repair options. You may have to use Refresh/Reset if all other options fail.

Let us know if this helps.
    Marilyn
    Friday, December 23, 2011 3:16 AM
  • Thanks Marilyn,

I tried the Advanced Boot Options with no success: automatic recovery can't fix it and refresh the PC couldn't finish. I will try booting from the CD later.

If you or your people want to examine my HD, please contact me directly.

Thanks,

Meir :->

Meir Mendelovich, Sr. Program Manager, Microsoft Forefront - IAG/UAG Product Group
    Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/edgeaccessblog/
    Anything you can do, I can do anywhere!
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 6:31 AM
  • Hello MeirM,

Did you try a Reset of the Windows Developer Preview operating system?
    Or did you end up with a reinstall of the OS?

Please reply back with an update on your status.

Thanks,
    Marilyn
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:02 PM