Remote Debugging - Access Denied

Question

• The app gets deployed, vsmon.exe is running on the remote machine. However I do get an "Access Denied" error. Is there a way to get a more detailed error description?
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:34 PM

All replies

• Hello,

in msvsmon on the remote machine, what are your settings for Tools | options | Authentication Mode and Permissions.  Is the user running the debugger in the permissions list on the debuggee machine?

how is the network setup in your scenario e.g. domain, workgroup?  Are you debugging managed, native, or mixed? 

Are you able to get remote debugging to work if you turn off authentication on both sides? (Msvsmon | Tools | Options | Authentication mode, debugger side - project properties)  (this is not a solution but just intended to get more info)

we might need to turn on WWSAPI logging but I can throw together instructions for that.  Also what version of windows and VS are you running on the debugger machine and what version of windows are you running on the debuggee machine?

thanks!

mike

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:19 PM
  • Tried without Authentication. Same problem.

How do I enable WWSAPI logging?

Both machines are running the CP (dev machine x64, remote machine x86). Deployed config is x86. 

Microsoft Visual Studio 11

Version 11.0.50323.1 QRELB
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.5.50131 QRELB

Installed Version: Ultimate

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:28 AM
  • Hello,

so just to reiterate a couple of questions above:

in msvsmon on the remote machine, what are your settings for Tools | options | Authentication Mode and Permissions.  Is the user running the debugger in the permissions list on the debuggee machine?

how is the network setup in your scenario e.g. domain, workgroup? 

Are you debugging managed, native, or mixed? 

The reason why I ask these questions again is that depending on what type of debugging you are using, then that determines what is communication type is being used underneath.   If you are doing mixed mode debugging, then do you see any difference when switching just to managed or just to native for example?

thanks!

mike

Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:02 AM
  • I am trying this without Authentication on the remote and dev machine. 

Both computers are in a workgroup called workgroup.

I am debugging native code or Script code (HTML5/JS).

There is not difference in the behaviour for native and Script debugging modes.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:29 AM
  • Thanks for the info,

so to turn on logging for WWSAPI. Open an administrator command prompt:

type in the following commands

logman start wstrace -bs 64 -ft 1 -rt -p Microsoft-Windows-WebServices -o mytrace.etl -ets

Try to start a remote debug session for script code only.  After you get the access denied, go back to the administrator command prompt and type in

logman stop wstrace -ets

send mytrace.etl to mikewong at microsoft.com so can take a look.

thanks!

mike

Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:48 PM
  • Was there a resolution for this?  We are having the same issue, but with a DirectX project.
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 5:37 PM
  • I could not test it further until now. Will update this thread once Mike and I figured out what's going on.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 11:05 AM