Expression blend 4 crasing

Question

• Blend 4 keeps crashing after a system resume

i narrowed it down to this file/folder which gets corrupted after a sleep->resume. Microsoft.Windows.Design.Extensibility

any ideas how to resolve?

Creativity Flows
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 1:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Tony,

to create a new png file in VS, you could try the following, right click on your project node in solution explorer, select add -> new Item..., go to graphics on the left hand side of the add new item dialog, select png image.  Go to solution explorer and right click on the newly added png file, and select open with..., select Graphics in the open with dialog instead of the default resource editor.

In the properties window, you can change the height and width of the png.  The toolbar at the top will allow you to edit the graphics.

thanks!

mike

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:53 PM

All replies

• This thread was created in the Windows Developer Preview: General OS questions forum; the Microsoft Moderation team has moved this thread to
    the Tools for Metro Style apps forum.

They should be better able to address your issue.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:47 AM
  • Hello,

I was wondering if I you had some steps to reproduce e.g.

1) Create a new Blank Application project

2) put the system into sleep mode

3) wake up the system, do x in blend?

If it only reproduces with certain projects, would it possible to get one of those projects from you?  We can also collect a crash dump of Blend but if we can get a reproducible scenario then we can analyze more effectively.

much appreciated,

mike

Friday, October 14, 2011 8:51 PM
  • Also take a look at the Known Issues list in http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/toolsforwinapps/thread/38847ac8-e387-4af6-8411-c9c95c27e67f for solutions to a known Expression Blend 4 crash. I can't tell from your description if it's the same one, but give it a try and if it doesn't help then answer Mike's questions so we have more info to work with.
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:24 PM
    Owner
  • In the context of Windows 8 tools,  I wanted to create a new Tile for learning how to do tile notifications.   What tool is provided to create a 310x150 PNG - none that I saw so I installed Expression Suite 4.

However, this received a couple errors during installation.

Question to MSFT - I wanted to avoid using two machines to do the examples you provided - one to run the developer preview and another to create the content and moved to the preview.   What was your thinking about this?

Monday, October 17, 2011 7:13 PM
  • Hi Tony,

For in-box tools you can create PNGs with mspaint, but I expect most designers will install their favourite editor and export from that.

As mentioned in http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/toolsforwinapps/thread/38847ac8-e387-4af6-8411-c9c95c27e67f there are known problems with Expression Blend.  I don't know if you're running into the same thing with other parts of the Expression Suite or something else, but you might give that solution a try.

--Rob

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:06 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Tony,

to create a new png file in VS, you could try the following, right click on your project node in solution explorer, select add -> new Item..., go to graphics on the left hand side of the add new item dialog, select png image.  Go to solution explorer and right click on the newly added png file, and select open with..., select Graphics in the open with dialog instead of the default resource editor.

In the properties window, you can change the height and width of the png.  The toolbar at the top will allow you to edit the graphics.

thanks!

mike

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:53 PM