none
Expression Web 4 free upload file size limitations RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone advise what the limitations are for Expression Web version 4.01460.0 free edition? Specifically file size limitations.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:12 PM

All replies

• What are you talking about? EW uses FTP for standard publishing functions (file uploads). If that is the "upload file size limitations" that you're talking about, then the theoretical limit for FTP is 2^64-1, which is much larger than any file you're likely to use on a Web site, although, technically, even larger files should get through.

If that is not what you are talking about, you're going to have to be significantly clearer. One way to do this is, instead of asking "What is/are..." say "I want to do... Can I?"

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:49 PM
  • My question is:  Does Microsoft put a limits on the file size that can be transfered on its free version of Expression Web 4?  In doing so, this would encourage users to purchase the full version due to a file size limit that can be used with its free version if there is a known file size limit. 
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:11 PM
  • There are not limits and there is no "paid" version as MS has discontinued development of the program. The free version is the former paid version and includes some updates that weren't in the last service pack.

Cheers

Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:59 PM
  • The last and free version of EW4 is the same as any version of EW: the only file size limitations you will hit are based on the amount of space your host provides you, the quality of your ftp connection, and the (you'll never hit it) theoretical max size of an FTP file.  None of that is determined by EW.
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 10:30 PM
  • To clarify things: there was never a difference between EW "free trial" versions and full versions.  You would purchase a version to use beyond the trial period, not for any additional features. The only difference was that trials had a time limit.  In the case of the final EW4 version, there is no paid version: it's free, period.
    Friday, March 7, 2014 12:59 AM
  • Years ago there were built in file upload limitations in the FrontPage programs.
    It was always assumed that it was to prevent people from uploading the cabinet ( 1.4 GB install ) files for the windows operating systems.

These days any file size limits would most likely be a server side issue

Expression Web MVP

Friday, March 7, 2014 1:55 PM
  • The original poster asks a VALID question.  No server anything.  The program takes my video and places an image over it (in my case, a frame over the entire thing).  So, small vids produce.  That's wonderful.  But, when they reach a certain length (I have NO IDEA what that length is), the folder (ON MY COMPUTER, NOT SOME SERVER) only outputs either a "settings" file or a "TS" file (which is some kin of metadata).

No encoded video. 

Again, this has NADA to do with some server.  It uses MY computer's processor and saves it in a file Expression creates on MY computer.

There is a maximum video LENGTH that will encode.  There has got to be SOMEONE here who understands this and can offer an answer to this FRUSTRATING question.

Thank you!  Steve Easton, are you still in  here?  You have a lot of points.   Kathy W2?  Paladyn?  This has got to be a little embarrassing.  Sorry 'bout that.

Thursday, March 21, 2019 1:25 AM
  • Your issue is not related to the original question regarding a free trial having limitations from the paid version, which is what the OP clarified was the question.

I have no idea what issues you are facing since I don't know what steps you are taking. (What menus are you using, what are you doing?)

My guess is that whatever you are asking EW to do with the video, it,s reaching system limitations, not EW limitations.  But that's just a guess.  Whatever it is, nothing will be changing in EW.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Thursday, March 21, 2019 3:36 PM
    Thursday, March 21, 2019 3:35 PM