Sketchflow projects missing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I just installed Expression Studio 4 Ultimate and there are no sketch flow project types in Blend 4.

What am I missing?

Thank you!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 1:06 PM

Answers

• You are correct, SketchFlow is only available in Expression Blend 4 Ultimate, which is part of the higher level MSDN.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/subscriptionschart.aspx

Thursday, April 7, 2011 1:33 PM

All replies

• What items do you see under the Silverlight heading in the new project dialog?

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 1:34 PM
  • Did you install the WPF? - Sketchflow is under WPF

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 1:35 PM
  • There is a SketchFlow template under both Silverlight and WPF.
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 1:40 PM
  • Actually that’s exactly my problem. No SketchFlow at all. Neither in WPF nor in Silverlight. All I've got is:

* WPF Application

* WPF Control Library

* WPF Databound Application

* Silverlight Application + Website

* Silverlight Application

* Silverlight Databound Application

* Silverlight Control Library

I'm running Windows 7 x64 if that makes a difference.

The Ultimate installer only allows to (de)select the main products. Not feature based. I installed the whole package.

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 1:46 PM
  • Very strange. Where did you get your copy of Expression 4 Ultimate from? Did you previously have a trial installed or anything like that? What does your about dialog say?
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 1:48 PM
  • No this is regular from my MSDN package. First time I got in touch with this. Almost new computer.
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 1:52 PM
  • Can you check what level of MSDN you have? Some of the MSDN versions don't have Blend 4 Ultimate and as a result don't have SketchFlow. I don't know the complete list, but I think it includes some of the free MSDN subscriptions through various programs.
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 2:02 PM
  • I'm having the same issue.  I have an license for VS 2010 Premium with MSDN which includes Blend 4 <del>Ultimate</del> Premium.  However, I have no sketchflow templates.  When I first launch blend (before loading any projects, etc) my File menu option does show (disabled of course) Package Sketchflow Project ...  But that's all I have.

Any ideas?

** Update: I just realized that my MSDN license only includes Blend 4 Premium not Ultimate.  I guess I was under the impression that Sketchflow was also available in Premium.
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 12:25 PM
  • You are correct, SketchFlow is only available in Expression Blend 4 Ultimate, which is part of the higher level MSDN.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/subscriptionschart.aspx

Thursday, April 7, 2011 1:33 PM
  • No offense as I know you personally didn't make this decision Chuck, but seriously, is that a joke?  SketchFlow was introduced and included in the premium level before, but now that it's a more useful tool it gets yanked?

Dealing with various problems and annoying bugs to stick with Expression Studio time after time instead of switching to a competitor product, and this is the thanks we get as developers and designers, pushing your platform?

Mike

Monday, April 11, 2011 6:53 PM
  • I too am irritated by this. I'm a single programmer, no big company backing me up. I invested A LOT of money in MSDN Premium and I'm annoyed to no end that you took out this tool.

I have played with this tool in the past, and left it aside - too complex for me. Now I have gained a new passion for prototyping. After a day of research I decided to give Sketchflow a new chance. I've located a book (for the benefit of others: Dynamic Prototyping with SketchFlow in Expression Blend: Sketch Your Ideas...And Bring Them to Life! but be sure to obatin the corrected source from www.dynamic-prototyping.com ), tried to run a sample and presto - no Sketchflow.

So no worry: I've identified other tools in my research today (see http://imar.spaanjaars.com/545/sketch-and-prototype-tools-review-part-6-and-the-winner-is written by an MVP author). I'll start using the much cheaper, simpler, higher-praised (!-) Balsamiq Mockup. When you come to your senses and decide to become friends with your developers once more, please give me a call.

• Proposed as answer by Ender01 Friday, June 17, 2011 9:30 AM
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:04 PM
  • Hi, is there already a solution for the original problem Uwe described?

Because I have the same issue - Expression Blend 4 Ultimate installed - with a Ultimate key - directly from the MSDN - installed on a fresh WIN7 installation - but there is no Skechflow project available.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 11:15 AM
  • I "fixed" it - uninstall and reinstall of the whole suite (uninstall of "blend4+sketchflow" only hasn't worked) - now it's working fine. (only difference to the original installation we can think of: the previous installation was done by a different user...)
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 12:49 PM