Wonder why WP apps are faaar behind iOS or Android? Answer is simple - hell with developing on WP

General discussion

• I decided to start developing for Windows Phone. Everything looked so great at the beginning - huge database of samples, tutorials, code etc, nice IDE, nice language (C#). But when I started with installing stuff, I went through hell. Literally.

First of all - I have Windows 7, so surprise surprise, I can't use Windows Phone 8 SDK. Why ?? Why Microsoft forces me to buy Windows 8 upgrade? Ok, I switched to SDK 7 but I can't register my Lumia 520! First of all it says that I need Zune in order to correctly connect my phone. But when login in Zune with my Windows Live ID it says that my computer region and account region are different so sorry - no (but they are the same!!). And a try to create a new account finishes with failure (unknown error). Registration tool from SDK 8 (yeah, I managed to install this somehow) says that it can't see the phone. Which is kind of sad and funny because Windows can see it without problems.

So after 2 days of fights I gave up - too much sensless things to do in order to develop apps for WP. Going back to android where you just install Eclipse, Android SDK and you can develop for whatever version you want and can connect whatever android device you have to test on it.

Regards
    Maciej

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 7:37 AM

All replies

• The Windows Phone 8 SDK has a dependency on Windows 8 Pro due to the Emulator being based on Hyper-V. This has the drawback of requiring Windows 8 but the advantage of the phone OS running directly inside a VM with pretty great performance.

You can't Developer Unlock an 8.x phone using the WP7 SDK. Basically your whole problem comes down to the newer SDKs not running on old versions of Windows which you didn't want to upgrade.

Aside from that getting the tools for WP development up and running has in my experience been quite a bit easier than with Android (at least historically - I didn't look into the changes during the last year - e.g. "install" eclipse, install java, setup java path, install Android SDK, install Android plugin for Eclipse, etc.). You install VS, unlock the Phone using the Developer Registration Tool and can debug/deploy/etc. from VS.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:05 AM
  • I totally agree - getting the Windoes Phone IDE/SDK setup is one of the easiest things I have ever done. I have been a Mac user for the past 15+ years and found the transition to developing for Windows Phone a breeze. Everything from getting the developer preview on my devices to unlocking them for app testing has been super easy.

As an aside, VS is also a much nicer development environment than xcode, which after using VS feels very clunky.

But hey, this is just my two cents and I'm sure for everyone who loves developing for Windows Phone/Windows there will be someone who dislikes it - its very subjective after all.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 9:22 AM